Using lock-ons to make the bars wider

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Just wondered what you thought about running lock-on grips slightly outboard of the bars to get a feel of what wider bars would be like?

Obv not a huge amount maybe 10mm or so but enough to leave grips secured by just one lock ring :?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    its your face.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    .blitz wrote:
    Just wondered what you thought about running lock-on grips slightly outboard of the bars to get a feel of what wider bars would be like?
    I don't think about it, but I think you're an idiot for thinking it.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    no.

seriously....

just loosen the outboard lockrings and see how easily the grips move.

no.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Most definitely not!

Big no-no!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i wouldn't like to try it :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Just get yourself an old brush a la Trigger from fools and horses... Lop it in half and stick each half in the end of your bars... Optionally, keep the brush head on the end to tidy as you go.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Do it but make sure someone gets it on video so we can have a laugh.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Erm, ive been doing this for 3 months now without and problems. Doesn't even flex. The lock ons i have only have inner lockrings anyway.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    edited April 2011
    I think it's a stupid idea personally, it would be nice if there was nothing that could possibly go wrong, but as it is, it's a bit stupid

I'm tempted to try it now for some reason, although I don't think I will :roll:
  • Anonymous
    You trust a flimsy bit of plastic tubing to support your weight when riding over rocks, roots and drops? What the hell do you use as a handlebar, a piece of hosepipe?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    You trust a flimsy bit of plastic tubing to support your weight when riding over rocks, roots and drops? What the hell do you use as a handlebar, a piece of hosepipe[?/b]

Don't go giving him ideas
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Actually on one of the pro DH'rs has this set up on his rig, remember it on one of the Dirt bike set-ups from Fort Bill last year.

I seem to recall Cam Cole does it but I aint sure.
  • Anonymous
    Now there's absolutely NO WAY a piece of plastic tubing would whithstand the impacts encountered in a DH race. If you think it could, I'm curious, why do you thin kwe even have metal handlebars?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Grips?
    Real men just grip the steel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    I'll grip your steel in a minute.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    There are bar extenders you can get.

Also, why would a pro use some sort of shoddy crap like that when they get their kit for free? Surely they'd say, I'd like some of those bars, just bigger so the team would get them wider bars.

To the OP, it's your face, but in the same way I don't buy used bars for offroad, I wouldn't do what you're planning. Post again when you're back from the cosmetic dentist.
  • Anonymous
    The bar extenders aren't reccomended for rough riding either.
  • Atz
    I wouldn't use them. Just saying they exist and are probably better than just hanging your grips off the end of the bars.
  • bennett_346
    I only have them 1cm overhanging on each grip, and i only weight 10 stone lol. I use them on some pretty rough stuff, just today i did an unexpected 5 foot drop to flat at 25mph and i didnt even feel them flex. So far so good. If i snap them and mash my face on a rock i shall let you know.

Who said mountain biking was meant to be safe anyway?
  • Atz
    It's about managing the risk. If you want pointless risk taking, how about slackening your stem off a bit or maybe saw half way through your cranks?

If I want wider bars I'll buy them rather than risk smashing my teeth out ;)
  • bennett_346
    im sure doing either one of those is much worse than moving your grips 1cm off the bars
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    before you try read this its a mate from the club im in and this was not nice to watch

Finally, out with a couple of mates in Wales, 4th day away on the bike at Nant Y Arian, dropping down a fairly innocuous but fast and steep rocky downhill section, my handlebar grip came away from the bar (wet weather), bike went left, i went straight on, landed on my head, helmet did a good job but still ended up concussed and with whiplash and seeing flashing lights, plenty of cuts and bruises on my shoulder, chest and knee and very very shattered ego! finished the last 12 miles (very tentatively!), drove2hrs back to manchester and called into Hope Hospital, immediately put on a rigid board, collar on, head fastened in blocks and rushed into Xray for head, neck and back, all fine but feeling a little foolish! Still beat the 4hour wait in A&E!

Morale of the story...get locked on grips...and a new helmet! (not take up knitting as the missus hoped!).
    Anyway, apparently these things happen in threes according to a mate from liverpool (trustworthy source!) as soon as I can move my shoulder I will be out for a ride! Hope to see you all soon.
    Iain
  • bennett_346
    Sorry to hear about your mate. We are discussing using lock on grips already however.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    but your talking about only locking one end and having the grip off the end of your bars buy a cpl off MM. iv had lock rings come loose before so i would not try it....im not saying dont do it as thats up to you just sharing the info with you before you do try.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    for ages i was running specializd grips which only have one lock ring on them as standard, they never rotted or twisted or misbehave din any way.

however, i wouldnt run them extended beyond the end of my bars as they would surely end up breaking, real bad, big sticks, no messtins, sideways.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Have been doing this for years.

Ergon GP1 grips, only about 5mm out.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    hmm...interesting replies (well, some of them anyway)

FWIW I tried it last night around Cannock and it works OK. I wouldn't want to ride like that permanently but it gave me an idea of what an extra 20-25 mm on the bars feels like.