Bike Survival - advice for all -

2»

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    never cycle through norris green.

or croxteth, toxteth, kensington (been chased through there)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    mudcow007 - theres nothing worse than seeing a bicyclist wandering.

That might ahve been me looking at a young lady.

Oh here's another one, don't get distracted by people of the opposite sex
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    and always watch out for Tw@s in BMW's( especially coming out of side roads)them,not you.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,691
    samivel wrote:
    Look at drivers in the eye especially high up drivers (Lorry, buses) so you know they've seen you.

And even when they look straight at you, assume they've not seen your or 'didn't realise you are going that fast. You should slow down, you know.'

In fact never assume anyone has seen you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    1. Don't listen to all the miserable doom-mongerers who will try to convince you that cycling is more dangerous than being shot in the face & you're absolutely definitely going to be killed to death eleven times every ride.

b) Don't become one of those self-righteous tw@ts who thinks they can justify running red lights and using the pavement as and when it suits them.

iii) Never fall into the trap of believing segregated cycling facilities are a good idea, unless you're happy to reinforce the 'them' and 'us' mentality between motorists/cyclists & are willing to accept you have no right to be on the roads.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    mudcow007 wrote:
    never cycle through norris green.

or croxteth, toxteth, kensington (been chased through there)

brave man. cycling through kenny cold be an olympic sport
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    brave man. cycling through kenny cold be an olympic sport

have you seen the church which is used to sell antiques on prescot road in kensington? i was chased from there all the way to the Royal!! and i was on my Kona Stinky aswell its like trying to sprint in a pedallo
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Spot and predict things that might make you crash soon enough that you can avoid crashing, don't crash, if you do crash go limp and land well.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    good visible road positioning and anticipation.

Riding is fun, smile and do it zen like & the odd numpty stepping out or overtaking a bit close doesn't get your blood pressure up half as much.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Make sure you have written a WILL.

Take no prisoners.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Wear lycra.

Because it looks awesome.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Zen.
    Ride with it.

Back off from confrontation, especially with large vehicles. Watch for pinch points.

Hit the anchors this morning when I realised a HGV was going to pass me on one, I sat back and watched the lorries distance to the curb reduced to inches that I would have been in.
  • :oops: If out for the day be prepared & carry some T. roll. Discreetly wrapped of course because there's a first time for everything.!!!!!