truck wash

jakewwfc
jakewwfc Posts: 72
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
is it possible to use truckwash for cleaning bikes, ive heard its virtually the same as muc off etc, only a lot cheaper

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not. until having carefully checked it for contamination of pads and how it behaves on seals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    wot he said. ^
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    I have a big drum of TFR Ultra (Traffic Film Remover) that had been watered down as the chemical injector was back feeding water into the chem tanks, I've used it on my bikes without problems so far.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Truckwash or TFR is nothing like Muc Off.

TFR is evil stuff, I've seen it fade paint after repeated use, I wouldn't use it to wash a truck, let along a bicycle.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    a lot of it is caustic, think the stuff we had was the non caustic version

The worst stuff we used was selscale, one anally retentive customer speced it for removing brake dust from wheels. smelt like chemistry lab drains, hydrochloric acid based got half a drum of that, its gone brown in storage :shock:
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Al, one of the guys at the garage when i was there tfr'd down a Solid red cavalear one morning as a favor for a salesman, rinsed off, left to dry in the sun, Stripped All the goodness out the paint and turned it Pink infront of his eye's! :shock: :shock:

tfr's in general need to be Over diluted on recommended dilution rates, Truck was is a little different from normal Traffic Film Remover (tfr) which is often used in carwashes, a Lot stronger, it'll make the bikes clean but the seals will prolly take a bit of a hammering from it, reduce life of them a lot,

if you want a Cheap bike cleaner then use something like a general All Purpose Cleaner, in tesco for example, you can get one called Daisy, 1L for £1.20, diluteable 1:10 so you can have 10L of half decent bike wash for less than £2!! But, they do often contain a lot of salts, so worthy of a Good rinsing!

otherwise, just use carshampoo like quite a few of us do!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    truck wash is high alkaline/caustic and will destroy polished finishes and anodising so it will basicly make a mess of most bike parts inc fork stantions ect.