Bike Shops In The Midlands Area?

Cog Head
Cog Head Posts: 53
edited April 2011 in MTB general
so as a bit of a follow up from my what helmet topic, are there any decent cycle shops in the midlands area? or cycle centres?
im in Tamworth J10 M42

Comments

• whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    Surprised you asked. Just browsing the internet should give a lot of results. I am in the Wolverhampton area and now of
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/
    M6 J9 Decathlon
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/wolverhampton
    Halfords

just to name a few. All with strong brand name online stores
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • whitestar1
    Surprised you asked. Just browsing the internet should give a lot of results. I am in the Wolverhampton area and now of
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/
    M6 J9 Decathlon
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/wolverhampton
    Halfords

just to name a few
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Cog Head
    yeah, ive been tapping away for a while, and im getting results up, but i want to know is if someone can suggest one or two, as most of the bike shops ive been to are usually small set ups with limited stock

there seems to be a few in lichfield and cannock, but again, its weather theyre a big centre type shop or a small one. im after a lid you see, so would like to have a bit of a variety to try on
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Swinnertons on Cannock chase. Good bunch of lads and once you've bought your helmet you can ride follow the dog or the monkey trail. Cafe also does some lovely food.

Give them a call first, but pretty sure that when I was in there last, they had the 661 recon and fox flux in stock, amongst others.
  • Cog Head
    Now THAT ^^ Sounds like a plan!
    buy a nice shiny new lid, then go try to brake it :twisted:
    the only thing is, id have to ride 15 miles to get there, spose its a nice long warm up :(
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    shx8000 wrote:
    Swinnertons on Cannock chase. Good bunch of lads and once you've bought your helmet you can ride follow the dog or the monkey trail. Cafe also does some lovely food.

Give them a call first, but pretty sure that when I was in there last, they had the 661 recon and fox flux in stock, amongst others.

+1 Mark the owner is a real nice guy,
    I live down the road (5 min walk) from Swinnertons Cycles in Fenton, but give all my business to Swinnertons at Cannock as I prefer the service there, even though it means a 30 minute drive to Cannock.

@Cog Head - also a good excuse to get a good ride in on FTD or the Monket Trail
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    edited April 2011
    whitestar1 wrote:
    The Wolvo store has been really good with me. I'm from Dudley but go there for quite a lot of stuff, it's also easy to pick up stuff after school as my school is in Compton. I've got them to price match loads of stuff. 661 Kyle Straits for £35 (£10 saved), Fox Sergeant shorts for £45 instead of £70 (£25 saved)and when i was in yesterday I got them to order in a Topeak Mini 20 Pro multitool and price match it at £21 instead of £25(£4 saved).

I've also got Race Co Cycles in stourbridge and Two Wheels on the way, just past Brierley Hill, Amblecote I think.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    +1 for both Swinnos shops and Wolves Leisure Lakes. Brain Rourke & Fred Williams also most excellent.

If you go to Cannock have a look in Mammoth
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    +1 for swinnertons

also, there is daves cycles in aldridge. Has quite a big shop, but mostly complete bikes in there.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    +1 for Swinnertons, always try and buy something from them when I'm up at the chase, which has become very expensive recently :lol:

Also Sheffield Cycles in Burton, always happy with the service there, even if they do mostly deal with road bikes, they know what they're doing and they're dead cheap for labour. £5 to cut the steerer on my new forks and remove the old/install the new headset etc. Bike was ready to ride a couple of hours after I'd dropped it off.

IIRC the other local shop wanted £15 to do it.
  • Cog Head
    i went a ride up the chase on the duke earlier, and the damn place was shut :? but that gave me all the excuse i needed to go home the Very scenic route 8)
    i think i need to get my car back on the road asap so i can go the chase, as it looks awesome from what i seen and heard off some people i spoke to.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Cog Head wrote:
    ...the damn place was shut
    Eh? The last time the Chase was closed was during the foot and mouth outbreak in err...2001?
  • mintsauce5
    mintsauce5 Posts: 193
    +1 for daves cycles in aldridge , loads of bikes and equipment , bigger and better shop now , its on Northgate :D
  • Cog Head
    not the chase, the bike shop was shut!
    i think ill do a tour of all the bike shops soon just to whats about, ive just found a bike shop just down the road from me too, no idea it was there!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Cog Head wrote:
    not the chase, the bike shop was shut!
    i think ill do a tour of all the bike shops soon just to whats about, ive just found a bike shop just down the road from me too, no idea it was there!
    What shop is that? I wasn't aware of any decent shops in Tamworth. I live in Coventry, but my Mum's in Tamworth and I might want to get her old shopper serviced.
  • Cog Head
    its on the glascote main road, dont know if you know where the old TV repair shop used to me, but its next to that, ill get a post code
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Cog Head wrote:

Their website is full of fail.. no online shop...
  • Cog Head
    i know, but it was quicker than finding the post code :lol:
    its not a massive shop, i miht have a wonder down there this weekend some time, ill let you know if its any good
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 wrote:
    The Wolvo store has been really good with me. I'm from Dudley but go there for quite a lot of stuff, it's also easy to pick up stuff after school as my school is in Compton. I've got them to price match loads of stuff. 661 Kyle Straits for £35 (£10 saved), Fox Sergeant shorts for £45 instead of £70 (£25 saved)and when i was in yesterday I got them to order in a Topeak Mini 20 Pro multitool and price match it at £21 instead of £25(£4 saved).

I've also got Race Co Cycles in stourbridge and Two Wheels on the way, just past Brierley Hill, Amblecote I think.

Are those Crud fenders on your wheels? Which store are you talking about in Wolverhampton?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    Hi I have been shopping at Decathlon M6 J9 its a superstore and easy to get to from the motorway. It's in Walsall so that's not too far. there is a Halford too.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    whitestar1 wrote:
    whitestar1 wrote:

Are those Crud fenders on your wheels? Which store are you talking about in Wolverhampton?
    I'm on about leisure lakes. The mudguards are Crud. I hardly use the rear one but the front and my inner tube fork mudguard stay on all year round.
  • Cog Head wrote:
    the only thing is, id have to ride 15 miles to get there, spose its a nice long warm up :(

Can't remember the exact details but I do recall reading something about people getting the train, (to Rugeley station I presume) then some bridleway type route that takes you to Birches Valley or somewhere near the trails anyway.

Sounds better than riding 15 mile each way anyway, or you might at least want to consider the train home as you might be knackered after lapping the whole lot X amount of time.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 wrote:
    whitestar1 wrote:

I'm on about leisure lakes. The mudguards are Crud. I hardly use the rear one but the front and my inner tube fork mudguard stay on all year round.

My Rockrider is mostly white. I really like your Crud set will most certainly be getting it.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Cog Head
    this was going to be my next topic, how do i find out?
    Cog Head wrote:

Can't remember the exact details but I do recall reading something about people getting the train, (to Rugeley station I presume) then some bridleway type route that takes you to Birches Valley or somewhere near the trails anyway.

Sounds better than riding 15 mile each way anyway, or you might at least want to consider the train home as you might be knackered after lapping the whole lot X amount of time.
  • Cog Head wrote:
    this was going to be my next topic, how do i find out?

Start a thread on the subject, perhaps on STW forum too, bound to be some people that know the area.

Another thing you could do is start a thread about group rides or finding out if anyone else happens to be from Tamworth, or passing through via B'ham, Coventry, Leicester or somewhere, people travel there from all over so you might be lucky enough to gain a riding partner or group that has a van or spare room for one more on a bike carrier, they might be glad of the company too as well as petrol money, worth a try perhaps.

I think there's a section on here to do with meeting up for rides?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    If you get a train to Rugeley, you want to ride towards the big roundabout on the main road, think it's called the Globe Roundabout, it's the one with the burger king and petrol station on it.

IIRC there are 2 stations in Rugeley.

If you get into Rugeley Trent Valley Rail then you just follow the road into town and it takes you straight to that roundabout.

From the other station, Rugeley Town? I'm fairly sure you head out of the carpark and down Wharf Road? Should take you to the main road, turn left this takes you to the roundabout.

At this roundabout you need to follow the road signs to Stone and Stafford, ride along that road with the burger king on your right and the playing fields on the left. The road crosses over a little stream, you'll see it on your left, on the left just after this stream is a cycle route up to Birches Valley, it's signed, there are a couple of maps along the way too. Fairly easy to follow anyway.

Think the ride is about 1-2 miles.
  • Cog Head
    i think ill start one off then, my old man seems to think i need to get a train with a special caridge, but i have no idea of finding out when and where they go.
    ive been speaking to a guy i know from a motorbike forum i go riding with, but he has his own possy of MTB-ers, and they are all quite well weathered too, so id be a massive hinderence to them, so its a bit awquard!

i have a general idea of where im going from rugely station, i went in the other day on the duke, and went past it, so finding the site shouldnt be a problem, its just getting there is the main problem
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Better to catch the train to hednesford, and nope you don't need a special carriage as i get the train regularly to cannock that way. If you get off at hednesford, you just walk out the station about half a mile down station road and then your on the chase.
  • Cog Head
    ow sweet, dont i need to ask the ticket man if i can take it on, or just get a normal ticket and go on like normal?