Best Brakes for Full laden touring using STI levers

d70ar9
d70ar9 Posts: 139
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm going touring round Norway and Scandinavia over the summer on my Dolan Multicross but im not sure that the deore V brakes that it came with are up to much in terms of stopping power. What brakes can people recommend to use?

I have heard good things about these
http://road.cc/content/review/14473-tek ... antilevers

But id be grateful for any suggestions on what to go for

Cheers
'All that is solid melts into air' Marx and Engels

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I use the Tektro cantilevers with my tiagra STI levers. They work better than low profile cantilever designs but are not as good as I would like for a wet descent or emergency stop.
    One problem is in the small cable pull of the levers, the other is the lack of stiffness of canti cable hangers with threaded steerers.
    You should consider keeping your V brakes and using a Travel Agent to adjust the cable pull.
    If you do go for the cantilevers, consider using an "uphanger" to support the cable. This is much more solid and allows a longer cable run without sharp bends.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have Campagnolo Linear Pull brakes on my Condor Heritage tourer with Tiagra STI's. They have been great. They work fine fully loaded (front and rear panniers, bar bag plus tent on top of rear rack), and I have clearance for 35mm tyres and mudguards. They are hard to find though, Condor fitted mine (they specced them on the Heritage C-Plus tested in 2009, and they rated them), they may be able to supply them. They worked out cheaper than any alternative using Travel Agents (a pair of those cost £35). I did add a couple of adjustable noodles (£3 each) to ease wheel removal.

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/reviews/br ... 27363.html
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Avid BB-7 Road mechanical disc brakes.
    Total faf for mudguards and front panniers though.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • nwallace wrote:

What about if you use an OMM front rack built for disc brakes?
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    IMO and Experience I d say Avid Ultimate Shorties or TRP CX 9'S . The avids to be fair work best with SRAM levers and the TRP's with shimano.

The TRP's dont leave much room for adjustment the rim cant go more than 2 mm out of true.

Both are pretty pricey and you would probably notice the best improvement in performance from swapping out pads to something like swiss stops or Uber Brakes. Definitely something cartridge backed.

I ve recently completed the way of the roses including the descent into pately bridge fully laden and weighing 90 kg and stopped easily on Avid Shorty 4 's with Uber brake V Pads but then again it was bone dry and they squealed like a pig.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    nwallace wrote:

What about if you use an OMM front rack built for disc brakes?

Just the mudguards then.

The ultimate low rider (don't like the idea of using the hub as a mount when i have eyelets) £82 quid was a bit expensive for a first front rack, can see me changing to one at some point.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days