tapered / conical spacers on headsets

synthasandwich
synthasandwich Posts: 38
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Really sorry if this is a daft question but I want to fit a tapered / connicle spacer on my Gary Fischer Wahoo. This is ( I admit ) for aestetic reasons- I'm not sure of the base of the spacer will fit a semi intergrated headset like mine, it's a Cane Creek-1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearing....... Are conical spacers only designed for certain headsets, is there something I should be avoiding or looking out for?

Hope anyone can help.

Mark.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    many work with many headsets. I have a control tec one with a cane creek headset.

it can be a bit mix and match. some may say what head tube ID they work with.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers Nicklouse,

... so what is classed as a mismatch/ bad fit, just so I know what to spot. Is the shape of the bottom face on the spacer the biggest factor ( in keeping seals / compression rings in place. ) My current Cane Creek headset has a pretty flat top seal which I'm hoping makes things easier.

Thanks again bud ( you've helped out quite a bit on my other posts too )

Mark
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    here is mine to give an idea.

img1194u.jpg

some will be a little wider to cover more of the top cap. But most are made with the integrated/internal headset standards in mind.

get measurements before buying.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • That looks cool- definitely what I am aiming for.

I'm fortunate that I have some digital calipars to measure with, I'll also have a better look at how the compression ring sits tomorrow. At least I know it is feasible now and I just need to be careful rather than be trigger happy on fleebay.

Thanks again bud.

Mark