My first 10m TT tonight!!

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited April 2011 in Amateur race
Hi all

First TT ever tonight; Congleton CC 10m Gawsworth circuit. Did it on my road bike with no aero bars, slipping chain (only realized how worn it is when I was putting as much power through it as I could!), saddle bag containing lights, two spare tubes, puncture kit and tyre levers!! Attached to the frame are my minipump and two CO2 canisters. Oh, and a pointless 750ml of water!!!!!! Had my rain jacket in my jersey pocket too!

Had no idea what to expect; just didn't want to be embarrassed by being overtaken by too many other guys. Started 6th and went out fairly hard, mainly downhill the first half with a bit of tailwind. After the turn it was hard work and my bloody gears were playing up..... Didn't get passed (the fast guys start last I guess!) and overtook 3 others so really chuffed. Well, not too bad for an old fart of 44.... 25:05. Overall about 6th out of 17 starters I think, although the fastest guys were just over 23 minutes, so plenty of work to do to match that I think. All in all I am a bit gutted not to have gone below 25 minutes really!!

So, time to start saving for some more goodies to help lower the time, oh and remember to bin all the crap BEFORE the race next time!

PP

Comments

• JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    Well done pete,

Did my first TT with you tonite as well then. Started 2 behind you and managed a 25.25. More than happy with that. Now i think that beating you may have to be my target for the year then.

Either way cracking ride from you, that last 4 miles with the head wind was a kliller.

Jamie
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    good times. my first is next week and im fairly certain i wont be hitting those sort of times.-which incidentally are a bronze standard at my club 8) not bad for first run.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    That's my 'home' course (Macc Wheelers - Wednesday nights). 25 minutes is a very solid ride - especially on a road bike. I'm doing it in 24 minutes on my TT bike and while not the fastest in my club, ain't no slouch either.

It's a deceptively tough course - feels easy at the start with the downhill, but it's hard work on the way back, especially if there's any wind.

I'll be out there tomoro night, trying to better my PB!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I am not familliar with the course, but whatever way you slice it, 25:05, for a first 10, on a road bike with no TT bars is a HELL of a time, with a bit of training and TT kit, you'll be doing 23's in no time.

My 10 pb is 24:07 on a TT bike......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did my PB on that course last week...

I crashed on Sunday and can't really hold the aerobars so may have a do on the roadbike tonight. I'm bloody sore and my leg is knackered so I'll be happy if I finish the 10 miles this week!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    NapoleonD wrote:

I crashed on Sunday and can't really hold the aerobars so may have a do on the roadbike tonight. I'm bloody sore and my leg is knackered so I'll be happy if I finish the 10 miles this week!
    So you are racin!
    Didnt see you at the Cheshire Road series last night tho.. I was marshallin or rather drivin my wreck as one of the lead cars.
    Hope the hurt goes quick and fair play to actually finishing!... shame I had to sack off the Little Beacon as it was Easter.
    Have you got posh gauze bandages on?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Rode the same course tonight and posted a new PB by a good 20 seconds. Perfect conditions for it with very little wind, etc.

(And went to race in the Cheshire RR Series last night - and despite being TOLD to come down, wasn't allowed to EOL!!) Barstewards.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    JGSI wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

So you are racin!
    Didnt see you at the Cheshire Road series last night tho.. I was marshallin or rather drivin my wreck as one of the lead cars.
    Hope the hurt goes quick and fair play to actually finishing!... shame I had to sack off the Little Beacon as it was Easter.
    Have you got posh gauze bandages on?

Couldn't enter the cheshire series as I am unable to marshall (I could only do one event, the last one, anyway. The organiser was really offended when I asked him if I could just enter the one!)

Cheers, just a big patch thing on me elbow.