Advice for MTB road puncture proof tires

whitestar1
whitestar1 Posts: 530
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi All
Need to change the original MTB tires on my Rockrider 8.0 to all purpose or tires more suited to the road. It must be puncture protected (well close :wink: ). Ideas/recommendations please thanks
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

Comments

• Kidge004
    Kidge004 Posts: 123
    conti travel contacts... amazing!!!
  • Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    And don't forget - if you're using MTB tyres you can probably afford to wrap an old inner tube around the inside of your tyre for that extra little bit of protection!
  • whitestar1
    Vivica wrote:
    And don't forget - if you're using MTB tyres you can probably afford to wrap an old inner tube around the inside of your tyre for that extra little bit of protection!

Thats a very interesting idea
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    Vivica wrote:

Thats a very interesting idea
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Kidge004 wrote:
    conti travel contacts... amazing!!!

These.
  • I have SCHWALBE Marathon XR Folding. Not cheap but bomb proof.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus are, I would say, the choice of most. However, they are lacking somewhat in the suppleness department. For this reason I use thinner/lighter Schwalbe Big Apple with Slime tyre liners.
  • saladdays
    saladdays Posts: 92
    Get some Schwalbe Marathon Racers, light weight at 420g (you'll go so much faster), puncture resistance and reflective strips.

Also, get the correct size tubes.

I never tire of discussing tyres!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Schwalbe do a series of different tyres that balance protection against speed and lightness. Marathon Plus is the gold standard for anti-P protection.
    http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c1-1315-tour.html

I use Big Apples and plain Marathon and find them comparable in protection.
  • whitestar1
    saladdays wrote:
    Get some Schwalbe Marathon Racers, light weight at 420g (you'll go so much faster), puncture resistance and reflective strips.

Also, get the correct size tubes.

I never tire of discussing tyres!

will they have sizes to match my 26x2.0 wheels?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I generally post on the mtb forum but came over here to look for tyre advice and saw this very helpful thread.

I suffered two punctures today using my 93 rigid marin equipped with 15 year old tioga road/mtb tyres. As I only had one tube, I had to push for the last mile.

Can do without that again. Looks like I need marathon plus.

As an aside, I'm sure I get way more punctures now than I used to when I was a kid.I feel a conspiracy theory coming on ;-)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Meh, you're all novices...

KHE park tyres run tubeless. Superlight and very puncture resistant.

Failing that then these!!!!!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Or you could try Schwalbe City Jets. Dirt cheap, very puncture resistant and mine have been going strong for well over 5000 miles I reckon. No sign of them needing replacing for a few more thousand either. Spa Cycles sell them for £8 each.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Choccy
    Choccy Posts: 30
    Schwalbe Marathons. You don't need the Racer or the Plus. I used Marathons on my MTB for 3 years (5k miles) without a puncture.

Someone said about the City Jets. Don't bother, they feel horrendous compared to the Marathons. They become very brittle after winter riding because they use cheap rubber.

Also work out the cost of good tyres over about 5k miles rather than how much they cost straight off. A £50 pair of tyres over 2-3 years riding works out very cheap (35-50p per week).

The puncture resistance of the tyres more than makes up for the weight penalty, especially during autumn and winter. It's nice getting out on the bike at 5am in the middle of winter knowing that getting a puncture is not a thing I'll need to worry about.

And most important, learn to enjoy the commute.

Choccy...
    "Now I don\'t want to cause a kerfuffle"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Choccy wrote:
    Someone said about the City Jets. Don't bother, they feel horrendous compared to the Marathons. They become very brittle after winter riding because they use cheap rubber..

Errr, no they don't. I ride all weathers - I even rode my City Jets in the snow until I got a pair of Marathon Winters. They are not remotely brittle. Thou art talking twaddle!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • whitestar1
    Are the marathon plus all purpose/semi slick tyres?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    Hi All
    I have been prowling the online stores checking for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre.
    So far I have found this:

EVANS Cycles - £23.99 26 x 1.75
    Wiggle MTB Wire Bead - £25.19 26 x 1.75
    26 x 2.10
    CRC Smart Guard - £25.99 26 x 1.50
    MTB - £25.99 26 x 2.1

A number of widths are currently not available like 2.0
    Now I am wondering just how far down the original width of the tyre you can go. Mine are 2.0 so can I go down to as far as 1.50?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Schwalbe Kojaks 26x2.00 (eff. 1.75-1.80) run tubeless (Stans sealant) at 50-65 PSI. Fast (especially in a wider version), comfortable, NO PUNCTURES since I put them on a few thousands miles ago.
    I've tried many other tyres set up that way, and never had a single puncture.
  • I have SCHWALBE Marathon XR Folding. Not cheap but bomb proof.

Running these at 1.6" so am sure you could get away with width anything beween 1.5 and 2.2 inch. Lesser Marathons are good too. Narrower tyres may be slightly lighter and faster rolling but differences between different widths of the same tyre will be minimal. Important think is to lose the knobblies for riding on road.
  • tenfoot wrote:
    I generally post on the mtb forum but came over here to look for tyre advice and saw this very helpful thread.

I suffered two punctures today using my 93 rigid marin equipped with 15 year old tioga road/mtb tyres. As I only had one tube, I had to push for the last mile.

Can do without that again. Looks like I need marathon plus.

As an aside, I'm sure I get way more punctures now than I used to when I was a kid.I feel a conspiracy theory coming on ;-)

Tyres do degrade over time. If you are using 15 year old tyres perhaps its time for a change :?:

I always carry a spare tube, and repair kit. At a pinch you can pack the tyres with grass and just about get home, but I'd not recommend this as you are likely to wreck tyres completely.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Choccy wrote:
    Someone said about the City Jets. Don't bother, they feel horrendous compared to the Marathons. They become very brittle after winter riding because they use cheap rubber.
    Bollocks!

Or at least let's say my experience contradicts your assertion.

I've been commuting daily on 26x1.5" City Jets for over 3 years. They roll and grip well and soak up road buzz. The puncture belt might not be as thick as those on the Marathon models but I've been happy with mine.

After trying some lighter 1" Specialized tyres for a while (which didn't make me faster, just less comfortable) I was glad to go back to City Jets earlier this year.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • whitestar1
    I have SCHWALBE Marathon XR Folding. Not cheap but bomb proof.

Running these at 1.6" so am sure you could get away with width anything beween 1.5 and 2.2 inch. Lesser Marathons are good too. Narrower tyres may be slightly lighter and faster rolling but differences between different widths of the same tyre will be minimal. Important think is to lose the knobblies for riding on road.

Thanks WalkingBootWeather I will take your advise. I am looking at 1.75 Marathons.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011