Recovery bars?

dizzyduck
dizzyduck Posts: 39
edited April 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hello,

I've spent several hours over the last two nights researching on the nutritionally best and most cost-effective energy and protein bars available in the UK (yes, I am that sad).

Just one question I have before making a final decision:

Is a higher proportion of sugars to carbs recommended for recovery? I know for the ride itself, this shouldn't be too high, but for recovery am I right in thinking the body will need the energy ASAP for repairing itself, and thus a higher proportion of sugars would be better?

Any sports nutrition experts out there? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    It's usually protein drinks rather than bars that are used for recovery.

Just buy what you like based on taste. Unless you are a full blown athlete (e.g. 40hrs+ exercise per week), there will be little difference between the various varieties out there as they are all very similar.

Alternatively, to keep the costs low, buy what is 'on offer' or make your own...
    http://www.jibbering.com/sports/recovery.html
    Simon
  • dizzyduck
    yeah, i know protein drinks are more common, but on multi-day trips i can't really make enough shake to bring and keep cold etc. every day. that's why i thought protein bars would be good for day 2 onwards...
  • dizzyduck

Just buy what you like based on taste. Unless you are a full blown athlete (e.g. 40hrs+ exercise per week), there will be little difference between the various varieties out there as they are all very similar.

Alternatively, to keep the costs low, buy what is 'on offer' or make your own...

thanks for the link but where can i buy all that stuff to make my own powder?
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    I'd say you need a fair amount of energy from a recovery drink but you should really be looking for protein from your recovery product as it it's meant to aid your body's recovery, have you considered tubs of powder, they're easy to transport and can made quickly.
  • springtide9
    dizzyduck wrote:

thanks for the link but where can i buy all that stuff to make my own powder?

The majority of ingredients are priced from either MyProtein.co.uk (please use my referal code MP107371 to get 5% off and earn me some points.) or from Tesco supermarket, and were correct as of the date above. The prices of the branded product was from their own website, or store.

If you can't be bothered with making your own, just get the For Goodness Shake sachets - just add the pre-packaged sachets to a bottle of water. Shake. Drink. Recover :)
    Not the cheapest mind you.. but great for traveling or multi day events.
    Simon
  • dizzyduck
    thanks. tempted to try and make my own now to save money, but worried i wont mix the powder well enough, overdose myself on HMB and have a seizure then fall off a mountain. i was considering bars because they seem a bit more convenient than powders, which never seem to dissolve that well (after gym sessions i always use a blender or else i'm left with clumps of protein powder in my mouth, which makes me wanna puke).

anyone have experience making their own powder and if so, does it really all become a smooth drink with a good hard shake?
  • SpiCan
    SpiCan Posts: 31
    Try a nice inch thick T Bone.
    You just need a grill :wink:

Time VXS, Spi Roubaix Elite, Cannondale Caffeine F2,
    S Works Stumpjumper fsr, Dahon folding.
  • springtide9
    dizzyduck wrote:
    thanks. tempted to try and make my own now to save money, but worried i wont mix the powder well enough, overdose myself on HMB and have a seizure then fall off a mountain. i was considering bars because they seem a bit more convenient than powders, which never seem to dissolve that well (after gym sessions i always use a blender or else i'm left with clumps of protein powder in my mouth, which makes me wanna puke).

anyone have experience making their own powder and if so, does it really all become a smooth drink with a good hard shake?

I went onto the http://www.myprotein.com/uk and added all of the ingredients to my basket (smallest quantities)... and it came to around £60

Obviously I would be able to make huge quantities of the recovery powder mix, but I probably spend less than £60 a year on For Goodness Shake. But I'm also not sure of the shelf life of these powders. Too much hassle - unless someone knows of a better way of buying in smaller quantities.
    Simon