Shimano R540 SPD SL Road Pedals UPGRADE???

cuthy5
cuthy5 Posts: 17
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
I currently have normal pedals with the plastic/rubber toe 'cage' ,

just wondering if it would be worth upgrading to Shimano SPD SL Road Pedals with road shoes?? total upgrade would cost around £95.

I was thinking of Shimano R540 SPD SL Road Pedals
with.....
Shimano R077 2011 Road Shoe

Is this a good idea?

thanks

Comments

• Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    I've been thinking the exact same thing, the R540 SPD-SL's seem like the perfect way to get into the world of clipless cycling, they really are bargain basement clips - but all reviews rate them highly for the price.

My Only hesitate in getting the R540's is that they only support 3 point SPD rather than the 2 point SPD's, which means your cleats will always bee sticking out proud of the base of your shoe.
    This isn't a massive problem, but i can imaging climbing the stairs to work from where i leave me bike would wear the cleats out pretty damn quick!!

I'm assuming you're a cycle commuter looking for more power from his pedal, just like myself?
  • Vivica
    I'ma bump this guys thread because i'm extremely interested myself.
  • I was in the same boat as you guys and went for a pair of shimano M520s and spesh BG sport Shoes with new insoles, total cost about £100.

I have no regrets, the double sided pedals are a piece of cake to use when clipping in and the recessed cleats on the shoes mean you can walk about without wearing them out at all. I use the same set up to ride at weekend and ive never had any problems with them over long distances.

So there you go, another option to think on!
  • Vivica
    Yea, i can see the benefits of using 2 point cleats, in that you can have recessed pedals - but i really want pedals that i can use with both proper cycling shoes, and trainers, which is why i was leaning towards the R540 SPD-SL's, they look bit enough that they can be used with both cycling shoes and trainers.

...Choices choices choices.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I use spd sl pedals and cleats. The cleats come into 2 flavours red and yellow

shimano%20smsh10.jpg

the red have little or no movement (float) the yellow have 6 degrees of float.

If you you were to use them just for a cycling commute they're no better or worse that normal 2 bolt spd's, but for walking in they are a bit of a bother.

The red/yellow plastic mounts are hard plastic and slip and slide a bit on very polished floors, and wer quickly on pavement. And with the cleats sitting proud of the shoe it gives the impression of walking on the heels. Hardly convenient for walking round town.

Its makes walking upstairs a penguin like slow waddle too. You would survive in them and imo they do give a better transfer of power.

Look around though; 95 squid does seem a lot for pedals and basic shoes, infact someones selling 105 pedals for 35 (IIRC)in the classifieds.

Great thing about them is that they have a characteristic clip clop sound which tells people you've just arrived ON A BIKE.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Try posting this in commuting chat and you'll get far more response.

SPD style for commuting - bog standard shimano.
    SPDL style for everything else - I use Speedplay Zero
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Walking in SPD-SL's isn't that hard!
    Walking upstairs is easy. The only difficulty i have is walking down stairs, but walking downstairs with size 12 feet isn't easy in the first place.

Video on walking in road cleats
  • Vivica wrote:
    Yea, i can see the benefits of using 2 point cleats, in that you can have recessed pedals - but i really want pedals that i can use with both proper cycling shoes, and trainers, which is why i was leaning towards the R540 SPD-SL's, they look bit enough that they can be used with both cycling shoes and trainers.

I think you would find using normal shoes on the R540s tricky, they do not really have a decent grippy surface anywhere.
  • Vivica wrote:

I think you would find using normal shoes on the R540s tricky, they do not really have a decent grippy surface anywhere.