MTB shorts?

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
I bought a pair from Decathlon a little while ago and they are fine (£9.50 on sale). I was looking at buying a second pair, and the price of some seem quite high to me, I am sure that the quality is great and that you get what you pay for. My question is, can I get away by wearing lycra road short, I have got a few pairs, and wear a pair of normal shot? Or are they going to rub somehow and do some damage? Thanks for the feedback.
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    do you mean wear your lycra shorts under your normal shorts?

.....sure, lycra wont cause anymore damage to your normal shorts than you bum would do.

Over the winter i wore my baggy shorts over my lycra winter tights and they were fine. Feels wierd to start with as its almost like having a layer of skin moving around (as the lycra slides, rather than sticks to your normal shorts) but other than that, happy days and no upsetting the wildlife with me just in lycra!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I often wear road shorts, but have started wearing baggy shorts over tham as my friends get embarrassed easily.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jeannot18
    Thanks guys. Yes Endura singletrack looks really nice but my wallet right now can't spend anymore :( So for now it is lycra with baggy short on top.

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I am in the same boat too. I am stck with the lycra shorts that I have from Decathlon. Just got my bike from there and hadn't realised that I needed a change of wardrobe for the road. Like Cooldad my mates are already in shock and they haven't even seen me yet :lol: I do like the Endura Singletrack its on Wiggle for £46. For someone who has been shopping at ASDA Georges/Perkins and for high-end M&S the prices can be daunting :(
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • jeannot18
    whitestar1 wrote:
    I am in the same boat too. I am stck with the lycra shorts that I have from Decathlon. Just got my bike from there and hadn't realised that I needed a change of wardrobe for the road. Like Cooldad my mates are already in shock and they haven't even seen me yet :lol: I do like the Endura Singletrack its on Wiggle for £46. For someone who has been shopping at ASDA Georges/Perkins and for high-end M&S the prices can be daunting :(

I am in the same boat. Do a fair bit of road riding and i have collected a fair bit of gear but now i am having a try at MTB. And here we go again, get the credit card and buy... At the same time I have got to keep the real cost from my wife...
    What did you get by the way at Decathlon (bike?), I have just ordered a 8.1 that should be ready in 4 to 5 days.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    jeannot18 wrote:
    whitestar1 wrote:

I am in the same boat. Do a fair bit of road riding and i have collected a fair bit of gear but now i am having a try at MTB. And here we go again, get the credit card and buy... At the same time I have got to keep the real cost from my wife...
    What did you get by the way at Decathlon (bike?), I have just ordered a 8.1 that should be ready in 4 to 5 days.
    JC

Man thats just what I wanted :o I had £300 budget with £150 for gear. Ended up with puting £100 on the bike money to get the 8.0. Got it the same day. I cant let my wife know the true cost too. Blew a gaskit when I told her that I bought it, so what happens when she finds out how much it cost :cry:

The 8.1 is so much cooler. Its in black with different saddle/wheels/tires and a Rock Shock fork the frame/brakes/Gears mechanics are the same with the 8.0. I was just out by £50. Bikeradar as it has the best sub-£500 bike around (or close enough).

My Rockrider 8.0
    rr80.jpg
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Have a look at these, price is in NZ dollars, (very good exchange rate for the UK pound) they are very light and comfy to be worn over lycra.
    I wear them on the majority of my rides.

http://www.nzoactive.com/nz/index.php/products/pants/dobies.html
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I managed to get some Fox Sergeants from Leisure lakes for £45 when i asked them to price match their online price. Decathlon do some good baggies for £35. Both of these include a liner with pad.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have to say, my LIDL "Cycling Underpants" are top quality and every bit as good as the liners that came with my Endura shorts. they cost 8 quid and you can wear them under a normal baggy short.
  • jeannot18
    I don't know how much NZ$99 but it seems a lot. They only got XXL and extra large left.

Getonyourbike, nice bike, I thought about getting a Fury too as it was in my price range, but went instead with the 8.1. Lidl and Aldi's cycling stuff is all right for the price. I have got their winter gloves (Aldi's), and they have been all right so far. I have also got those underpants that I wear when I go out on long motorbike journey and they do the trick. I have got a few kaki army-like short with side pocket and I will use those with my lycra for now. The MTB short I bought from Decathlon a while ago for just over £9 are great for the price. Decathlon can have some wicked sales if you can find your size.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    @Jeannot - how happy with the 8.1 are you? toying with one of these myself...
  • jeannot18
    mikey2341 wrote:

I haven't got it yet, hopefully it should be ready by the end of the week. It is a 2010 model, but they had 2 different model kind of thing. One had the rear mech in silver/chrome and the other one with dark grey (is the one I have chosen). And also the fork is different, mine will be coming with the fork from the 2011 model. I don't know why they do that but I had the choice so i thought why not. They also knock off £50 from the price, though I have to buy a couple of accessories, which I was going to do anyway. I will let you know how it goes when I get it, but bear in mind I am a complete beginner but it will be a massive difference from my Claud Buttler at £199.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • jeannot18
    mikey2341 wrote:

How happy are you with yours? I was limited by the price on what I could buy, but from what i have read they offer good value for money.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    i got a pair of very light shorts (camo style, pockets for phone, os map and ciggies) from matalan and tbh they've done me proud over my lycra-scare-the-children cycling shorts. about a tenner.
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    jeannot18 wrote:
    mikey2341 wrote:

How happy are you with yours? I was limited by the price on what I could buy, but from what i have read they offer good value for money.
    JC

Not got one yet - but it is looking very likely I will this weekend!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I wear lycra shorts with baggy shorts on top

Its cheaper than buying MTB shorts, I have had one pair (can't remember the make) but the pad was uncomfortable after a few months, so I put them in the charity bag (washed of course)

I can choose which pair of baggys to wear 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Wtf are road shorts!? You dont need different kit for riding off road, I wear the same kit irrespective of the bike I'm on! Bibshorts for the win.
  • fielonator
    fielonator Posts: 100
    I always ride in boardies. Super comfy and dry really quick. No big pockets though.