your perfect ride?

CycloRos
CycloRos Posts: 579
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Following this magnificent bank holiday weekends ride in the Peak District, a recent trip to the Cairngorms, and having previously considered myself to be a traditional XC/trail rider, I've found myself redefining my idea of the perfect ride.

I've discovered a few things about my riding which previously I'd not given much thought to -
    * I actually like climbing! Had several rides with 1000m + of climbing and I liked it! * Riding in truly remote, wild areas is a completely different experience and one which I much prefer to the hussle and bussle of trail centres and the busier national parks. * Trail centres just don't cut it anymore - a lot of them (not all) are too sanitized and whilst fun are just not enough on their own. Combining them with some natural riding is the way to go for me from now on * Scotland's approach to land access is spot on and gives us mountain bikers much more freedom to roam and explore (responsibly!) * The natural DH sections are truly scary and random compared to anything man-made and the consequent buzz from riding them is totally different.

Obviously any time out on the bike is still good and I won't be abandoning my local trails anytime soon, but for me that perfect ride these days has to be a big all mountain one....
Current Rides -
Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
Pics!

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I had what i can say was pretty close on the weekend for me. I do LOVE places like Afan etc but my abilites often stop me really enjoying it as i'm not terribly good.

So mine were local lanes, trails, footpaths and byways, epic views, epic fields of rape seed and bluebells... Just a nice day going round some fairly simple terrain and pushing hard every now and again
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Torridon....in good weather....with a good bunch of mates.

close the thread!

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Mines big epic all mountain experiences as well.

I enjoy bike parks quite a bit, with the lifts and everything, but also enjoy epics out for 70km through the mountains.

Luckily for me i've got a bike trip coming up in June, out into the alps with my father in law and a few of our riding buddies. Bike park is a 5 minute ride away from his doorstep, and we also have 2 vans going, so can go ride natural whenever we want as well.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    ah yes forgot about the good ol' british weather, it can make all the difference to that perfect ride, especially when you're high up on the mountains.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • I'm in Austria, and much better weather than the U.K.

Perfect temperature where you can push really hard but remain cool enough you don't burn out, that is once you get into the higher altitudes. A nice sun and about 15-20 degrees during spring and summer and i'm in my sweet spot.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I've only ever ridden long XC rides, (natural and trail centre) and for the first time I have a decent set of DH lines + drops + doubles only 45mins away. This weekend I was sessioning the same few lines and jumps repetitively with a good pal, getting better / further / faster each time and though I love proper trail work, just spending the day in one spot practising the lines in the sunshine was beautiful (see vid in sig).

For me it's being able to enjoy something previously unaccessible or not doable (is that a word?)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    my perfect ride would probably involve a bit of a technical climb to start with, i hate fireroads but give me a techy climb and ill bust a gut til i clear it, then a nice long rocky downhill, a few jumps, drops, super quick berms, then abit more climbing follwed by more descents, then some sweet singletrack through the woods, nice and loamy and drifty, all with nice sunshine and a decent temperature, so not too much to ask :lol: tbf i reckon cutgate path just about fills this brief for me, still is one of my favourite routes ive ever ridden, but id love to get out of the country and do a mega avalance style event, the one reunion island looks immense!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Offroad, onroad, pub, offroad, onroad, pub, offroad, onroad, pub dinner, home.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm increasingly avoiding trails in the day and riding them at night for a number of reasons.
    You can ride them in reverse without annoying people some are great climbs.
    You don't see anyone this time of year as the night riding season seems over
    tame trails like BKB, summer lightening (what is left) and yogurt pots are more interesting in the dark and have a fresh feel about them.
    there is nobody slowing you down or chasing you down.
    you really have to concentrate even with the sort of lights I use.
    you get to see some interesting wild life.
  • Off road, cheryl cole, off road, bacon.