Preload and speedlock on forks

zebedoo
zebedoo Posts: 19
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi - newbie qustion!

I recently bought my 'first' bike, as did Mrs Zeb. I bought a Carerra Fury and she got a Carerra Vulcan.

The forks on my bike have a kind of lever/dial thing on the right fork which says 'Speedlock' on it. I assume that this is something to do with adjusting the tension in the forks? The left fork doesn't have anything labelled on it.

Q1: how does this Speedlock thing work? I've tried turning it from min, to max and can't see any diferrence in the way that the forks move. It turns very easily too, like there is no resistence on the lever - is this normal?

Mrs. Zeb's Vulcan has a dial on it which says 'Preload'. Is this the same as the Speedlock? If not, how does this one work?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

Z

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Thought that was a lockout?
    Should be rebound adjuster on the bottom of the right leg, and air valve for compression on the top of the left leg.
    Didn't they give you a manual?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • zebedoo
    I've no idea, thus the question on this knowledgeable forum.
    No idea if they gave you a manual?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zebedoo
    Thanks for your help. Hopefully someone else will be along soon who can help shed some light on my OP.
    OK but if you read my first post I was trying - I have stated what I think should be on your forks, as you have not given a model number or even a make of forks, so trying to work out what you have. Should be Suntour Epicon?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps her preload is probably the same function as the air preload on yours. Preloads the forks for different weights of rider.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But sure SS will be along in due course.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zebedoo
    Yes, they are Epicons on mine. There isn't a word of 'preload' on my forks, just this Speedlock dial thing on the right fork.

Mrs Zeb's are Suntour XCT V2

Thanks again
    edited April 2011
    Yours should be air forks, so they are preloaded by adding or removing air - should be a valve under a cap on the top of the left fork leg. (Basically just adjusted for weight - they should sag, or drop, about 25% when you sit on the bike) You add air if they are too soft, or let a bit out if they are too hard.
    Hers (the preload dial) does much the same thing, but will use springs (either metal or rubber), so she just needs to twist the dial so her forks sag the right amopunt.
    On the bottom of your right fork leg should be another adjuster for rebound damping - how quickly the fork springs back. Suggest you just leave this around the middle for now and experiment later - too much and the forks rebound slowly and won't fully extend between bumps, too little and the forks will rebound faster and could 'skitter' over bumps.
    Still haven't answered your question on the Speedlock, as it should just lock out the forks and should make a difference. Suntour have a decent webbie and troubleshooting here:
    http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/index.php?screen=tv.home&SearchWord=lock%20out&task=search
    It might just be a matter of pushing it down a bit.
    Or SS will appear sooner or later and have all the answers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Aye, as above ;-).

Speedlock is indeed that, a lockout.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but forks at this level often have very little results from turning dials.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It works very well on the Epicon though. A full hydraulic damping cicuit with low speed lockout.

The XCT though... ;-)
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    Thanks very much for the info Cooldad. I was wondering the same thing too. Almost bought the Vulcan too from Halfords. I got the manual from Decathlon for my bike when I got my Rockrider, but was still searching it for instrctions until I came across this post. Its not easily explained. By the way, you have to ask Halfords for the manual if you are going to get one. I got a bike from them some time ago for my kid.

What do you thick about the Rock Shock brand?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • cooldad
    Rockshock range from mediocre (Dart range) to superb at the expensive end, but IMO their midrange forks (Recon, Reba etc) are the best value around.
    Saying that though looking through the Suntour website, some of their products look pretty good from the specs. I think if it wasn't for the name not being particularly sexy they'd do better aftermarket.
    Excellent website, make the RS one look like amateur hour.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 70s_kid
    70s_kid Posts: 56
    A question from me on the same subject if you don't mind fellas, might be useful to the OP too.

I usually only remember to lock the forks mid-ride when I notice my pedal power dissapearing through the suspension. Should they be fully out before locking them or is it OK to lock them when sagged?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    70s_kid wrote:
    A question from me on the same subject if you don't mind fellas, might be useful to the OP too.

I usually only remember to lock the forks mid-ride when I notice my pedal power dissapearing through the suspension. Should they be fully out before locking them or is it OK to lock them when sagged?

depends on the fork but most dont care.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 70s_kid
    70s_kid Posts: 56
    Thanks Nicklouse, it's Suntour Raidon if that makes a difference. Cheers