Gear changing issue...

Mr OCD
Mr OCD Posts: 382
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Set up the gears on my MTB (shimano alivio stuff with SRAM cassette / chain) and they all work fine with the exception of changing from 1st to 2nd on rear cassette... changes from 2nd to 1st ok but a bit slow / reluctant ...

Gears setup using Park Tools guide... three times just to make sure have not messed anything up ... each time same outcome...

Knocked the high screw off a bit to see if that helps but just results in chain trying to come off the 1st (inner) cog on cassette.

Any ideas?

Cables are all brand new.
2009 Carrera Fury

Comments

• bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Knocked the high screw off a bit to see if that helps but just results in chain trying to come off the 1st (inner) cog on cassette

only turn 1/4 of a turn at a time untill you get it right.
    also check cables are in good condition and not to tight (strip and clean try a bit of lube aftrer you have cleaned them)
  • Mr OCD
    Mr OCD Posts: 382
    bellys wrote:
    Knocked the high screw off a bit to see if that helps but just results in chain trying to come off the 1st (inner) cog on cassette

only turn 1/4 of a turn at a time untill you get it right.
    also check cables are in good condition and not to tight (strip and clean try a bit of lube aftrer you have cleaned them)

I was using 1/4 turn at a time... cables are all new as mentioned with adjusters backed right off therefore not likely to be tight.

I'm wondering if the cassette is the issue ... have a spare Shimano cassette to try...
    2009 Carrera Fury