Specialized, rear hub regreasing help

gtiandy
gtiandy Posts: 15
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning folks,

Regreased my rear hub bearings yesterday. The hub now sounds like a bag of spanners and doesnt free spin aswell (It was fine before I touched it :roll: why did I bother)

Followed this link on bicycle tutor, except I took the spindle out from the cassette side. Does anyone have any advice on where I might be doing wrong? Or have specific advice about regreasing the Spesh hub?

http://bicycletutor.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/

When looking at the hub etc, I just cant understand what I have done wrong.

Bike is a 2010 Spesh Hardrock pro disk.

Thanks,

A confused diyer.

Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the hub?

and is it Cartridge or Cone and cup?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gtiandy
    Its a specialized own brand hub. Spec from evans online; Forged alloy, double sealed, machined disc mount, cassette, 32h

By cartridge I assume you mean catridge bearings? If so, its not that. Its cone and cup, so you locate the individual bearings in the cup and the cone tightens over them to keep them in place.

Cheers,

Andy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably the cones are too tight. The adjustment between loose/right/tight is quite small.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gtiandy
    I thought this, but would that make them sound crap? They were no more than hand tight.
    The cups, bearings and cones were fully cleaned and regreased.

Looks like its going to involve some more messing about tonight.

If anyone has anymore information or good guides they can pass on it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Make sure you didn't loose some balls into the hub when you put the cone back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Macster1
    Macster1 Posts: 122
    Hi,

I have the 2009 Rockhopper Pro disc, and I also thought I'd grease my hubs up this past weekend :)

I took the front off but couldn't work out how to get the sealed bearings out to check/grease them, so I just cleaned under the caps and stuffed with grease! I then took the back wheel off, [which was hand tight] and took the spindle out to find loose bearings when I expected sealed, the same as the front. :?

Anyway, I didn't clean it all up I just packed with Devil grease until I have more time. But regarding your issue, I had bearings in two different places and realised that they fit into the inner recess, not the outer one, maybe you have put them in the wrong place? I know that may sound stupid but it initially confused me so maybe that's it?

I put the bearings in the inner recess [packed with fresh grease] then put a nut on with a plastic edge that holds the bearings in place, then a washer and finally the final nut/cone, which I did just over hand tight; when I did it up tight the wheel wouldn't move!

Hope that is of some help from a novice!

Cheers
    Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009 :D
  • gtiandy
    Evening folks.

Thanks for everyones input :D .

The hub is all rebuilt and sounding good. But on further investigation, it sounds like its the freehub :roll: that is making the bag of spanners noise when free wheeling. No adverse noise when pedalling.

Is this a fairly straight forward thing to regrease etc? I can only think I have cleared out some of the grease when cleaning the main hub section out (if this is possible)

Thanks again folks

Andy