PS3 Red Light of Doom. UPDATE - Replaced under SOGA

gregster10217
gregster10217 Posts: 469
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Watching a DVD the other night with the Mrs when the PS3 kicks it out and then shuts down. Try to turn it on again, briefly fires up and then flashes yellow for a second or so, and then shuts down with a continuous red flashing light where the power/standby light is.

I've researched it and it seems to be called the 'Red Light of Doom' which is caused by an overheating problem.

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem, found a fix that they've done themselves that has been successful?

Cannot afford to buy a new one at the moment, but I've got some Blu-Rays that I'd like to watch and I do enjoy a blast on CoD from time to time.
Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
Boardman MTB Team

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I had this with an X-Box. It was a hardware fault and was a known problem which was fixed under warranty. Check the guarantee, you might get it fixed for the price of postage. I found this out by googling .
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    My friend had a similar problem and solved it by getting one of those kits online that you replace the heat glue with. Not a guarentee though as it could be a few different things that are the problem.

Check online, there are plenty of places that will fix it outside of warranty for around £50.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Ghargh! I hate Sony.

My son's PS3 died like this after he'd worked his way through nearly everything on GT5 (he has cancer - he's at home a lot). Tried getting it fixed but it wouldn't respond (often the board needs to be "re-flowed": heated up so the solder joints melt and reconnect. This has been a common problem with lead-free solder).

Anyhow. It's only at this point you discover that there's no way to retrieve the data on your hard drive. It will only talk to the chip in YOUR PS3. Dead board = data lost. And backing up seems to save almost nothing.

Sony did this to make copying of games harder. B@stards.

So find a local repairer and see if it will respond. Most do I believe.

My son now only uses XBox. Well done Sony.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks everyone. Have looked on line and will see if I can follow the video guides to try and fix it!! If the worst comes to the worst, I'd just like to transfer data to USB, but doesn't sound promising!!
    Boardman MTB Team
  • bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    Try these people, they fixed my xbox. Good lads

http://www.consolewizard.co.uk/
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If the worst comes to the worst, I'd just like to transfer data to USB, but doesn't sound promising!!

Not a hope of doing that, I think. Sony should be truly ashamed of themselves. I simply can't understand why they are selling 320GB (?) machines now. At least with a PC, if your hard drive fails you have a sporting chance of recovering something. With the PS3 system, lose the chip and that's the end of it all - no Plan B.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • You have got a much bigger problem with the people who have hacked the Sony network and taken all the credit card details and passwords!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13192359
  • gregster10217
    gregster10217 Posts: 469
    FIXED!

Well, not really! Replaced though, by those kind people at HMV who have sent me a letter which I can take to a store to get a new one. All because of the Sale of Goods Act, I love that little known piece of legislation!

Basically, the retailer is liable for an item for up to 6 years after purchase and may replace the item if it becomes faulty during that time. All I had to do was get a report done by a computer/PS3 repairer saying what the fault was (in this case, an inherent design fault leading to overheating) send same report with original receipt to HMV with a covering letter. Had a response today and will be heading up to Bluewater later to collect my new PS3 slim. Lovely.

Well worth giving it a try. My console was a launch day system and was over 4 years old when the fault developed. Only down side is that I'll loose all my save data which will not/cannot be transferred between console, but may take hard drive out anyway as it contains personal data which I don't want HMV having, although Sony have leaked it all anyway!!!
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    FIXED!

Well, not really! Replaced though, by those kind people at HMV who have sent me a letter which I can take to a store to get a new one. All because of the Sale of Goods Act, I love that little known piece of legislation!

Basically, the retailer is liable for an item for up to 6 years after purchase and may replace the item if it becomes faulty during that time. All I had to do was get a report done by a computer/PS3 repairer saying what the fault was (in this case, an inherent design fault leading to overheating) send same report with original receipt to HMV with a covering letter. Had a response today and will be heading up to Bluewater later to collect my new PS3 slim. Lovely.

Well worth giving it a try. My console was a launch day system and was over 4 years old when the fault developed. Only down side is that I'll loose all my save data which will not/cannot be transferred between console, but may take hard drive out anyway as it contains personal data which I don't want HMV having, although Sony have leaked it all anyway!!!

good result, but don't forget that newer PS3 won't play PS2 games like the early models did
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    FIXED!

had the same happen on my 80gb about 2 weeks ago - been trying to resolve it wth no joy!! just need to find my receipt now - wife hoards everything... I hope.