Can't get shadow rear mech onto smallest cog!

macky1
macky1 Posts: 71
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I built my own hardtail from scratch, there is just one issue which is niggling me.

I fitted a Deore Shadow rear mech, but even with no cable tension and the screws adjusted all the way out, it won't drop onto the smallest cog (9-speed cassette).

The rear mech is brand new so not bent, do shadow mechs require a different gear hanger?
Whats the best solution, fit an appropriate sized spacer between the hanger and the mech to bring it further out?

Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no special hanger needed.

check nothing is bent.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Clogged cables, or badly cut: check this too.
  • macky1
    Thanks for the advice.

Brand new Shimano cable... wouldn't go onto smallest cog even before cable was fitted.

Maybe I'll order a new hanger just incase it is bent.
  • any pics?

are you sure its fitted correctly?
  • macky1
    My mechanical skills are average, but I did everything myself on the build apart from cutting the fork steerer.

I'll double check nothing is bent and get some pics if I get stuck.

Thanks!
  • macky1
    I'm wondering if it has something to do with this...

I have noticed the back wheel is quite tight in the dropout, which I think may be causing the rear mech to be at an angle.

I'm getting some new wheels this week so I'll see if they make a difference, although I suspect I'll still have the same issue.

I've built the bike and don't really want to buy a new frame and start from scratch, is there anything I can do?

P.S. The frame came from eBay but was supposed to be new, made by Dawes.
    I had it blasted and powercoated.
  • stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    could it be that the derailleur is a short cage one? when a long cage one is needed?
  • macky1
    It is a long cage, as far as I know they only do long cage in the Deore shadow.

I have 11-32 cassette on the back and 44-32-22T chainrings on the front.
  • nicklouse
    macky1 wrote:
    I'm wondering if it has something to do with this...

I have noticed the back wheel is quite tight in the dropout, which I think may be causing the rear mech to be at an angle.

so bent mech hanger/frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • macky1
    I've just ordered a new hanger.

If that doesn't work I'll have to fit a spacer on the mech side.
    Problem is it will always be at an angle, unless I bend the hanger to compensate.

Not ideal but buying a new frame isn't really an option.
  • macky1
    Just measured the rear dropout and it's roughly 132mm, so 3mm too narrow hence why the wheel is a tight fit.

The whole drive side dropout (not the hanger) is angled inwards slightly even with the wheel fitted, it looks like a manufacturing fault rather than damage.

This explains why the rear mech is at a slight angle towards the wheel, and not engaging into the lowest cog.

Is there anything I can do, or do I need a new frame? :(
  • Is it Steel or Alu?
  • nicklouse
    macky1 wrote:
    Just measured the rear dropout and it's roughly 132mm, so 3mm too narrow hence why the wheel is a tight fit.

The whole drive side dropout (not the hanger) is angled inwards slightly even with the wheel fitted, it looks like a manufacturing fault rather than damage.

This explains why the rear mech is at a slight angle towards the wheel, and not engaging into the lowest cog.

Is there anything I can do, or do I need a new frame? :(

if it measures 132 without the wheel or if it measures 137 it does not really matter as it all come right with the wheel inplace.

Many forks need to be "opened" to fit the wheel.

But now if the frame have been bent then yes that maybe part of your issue.

LBS time for checking for alignment of the frame. and a bit of tweeking may be possible but it all depends on how bad and what material.
  • macky1
    Its a 7005 aluminium frame...
  • nicklouse
    so any pics yet?
  • macky1
    I know a pic would explain a lot better... will post one later.

Thanks.
  • macky1
    Here are the pictures:

5660543313_bf994fdaec_b.jpg

5661110196_30455cfc9c_b.jpg
  • that doesn't look right to me

where did u get the frame from ?
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • macky1
    It's a Dawes Edge frame from a bike shop in wales, through eBay.
    It was sold a as new frame, excess stock.

To be honest I didn't check it before I got it powder coated, which I should have done.
    It cost me between £100 and £130 in total including painting.
  • thats defo not right!! if you pop into your lbs they may have the allignment tools to be able to check that iots the frame thats out, certainly looks like its twisted at the back there, - can see it on the mech hanger/frame angle against the cassette! i'd guess from the back that the rear mech cage is angled more into the wheel than straight down???
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • macky1
    Yes the rear mech is angled towards the wheel.
    As you say the frame is at an angle to the cassette, so the mech won't go onto the smallest cog.

My LBS (not Halfords!) are very professional, I'm sure they will have the tools to check alignment.
  • best pop the frame in and see how it looks!! can be quite easily remedied but may well crack your powder coat on that area??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • macky1
    So you think this can be saved?

I'm not worried about a bit of paint loss in that area, it wouldn't be that noticeable.
  • i'm no expert by any means but i know of steel frames way beyond that that have been returned to good, but i know steel and alloy are very different, Nick is without doubt the best one to tell, but it'll be worth checking out, i know the mechanic at the lbs has done some propper correcting on his bob trailer after a mate of his trashed it, so fingers crossed!! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Look like the dropout has been misaligned (it should be parallel to the cassette) then welded or worse.. broken off and re attached.. Its not right though.....

I would contact the seller/shop...

and explain the problem.

Dave.
  • macky1
    Problem is the frame was bought on eBay last year sometime, it's going to be difficult tracking down the seller.

I am considering a new frame, as for £100 or less could get a very similar frame brand new.

Just transfer all the parts over, shouldn't be a massive job.