skype query

tri-sexual
tri-sexual Posts: 672
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
hi, anyone on here use skype?
set up an account a few days back, set up a contacts list and successfully made free video calls and sms.
tonight i paid some money into my skype account and tried making some pc to mobile phone calls, in the tarriffs it states that calls should be about 1.6p per min (inc vat), when i tried calling it charges me about 29p a min, anyone know why?( yes i have factored in the connection charge which also should be less than a penny)
also my calls are not successful, either they only get a dial tone when they pick up or dont get call at all.
one person i called got a phone number from me starting with 02, why is this?
tried using the help section on skype web site, next to useless
appreciate any help, thanks

Comments

• I use Skype, I even managed to crash it 3 times last night!

With Skype-to-mobile the money goes to the mobile tariff charged. Quickly. Though, for me, Skype shows its charges in Euros and centimes, not that there's much difference.

There's a way of setting Skype up so that it displays your mobile number when you call. If you don't connect, the person who missed the call at least knows the call came from you (if your mob no is in their phone, of course). I had a problem getting my daughter to answer my calls from Skype because she didn't recognise the number that was calling her. Now, her phone tells her who's calling. I think this is where you can set this up...

https://support.skype.com/en-gb/faq/FA1 ... Page=false
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I use Skype all the time to call back to the UK, both SkypeIn and SkypeOut.

If you read the tarifs properly, a call to a UK Mobile is about 17p/min. The rate you quote is for calls to landlines.

In recent times, I've never had a problem. In the early days (5 years ago) then call quality could be hit and miss, but now I have no problems.

As stated above, you can link your own mobile to your skype account, and then when I call, the caller ID is that of my mobile.