Just weighed my bike....

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Hello :D

Notax is building up a new bike at the moment, and as such we ended up with the scales out weighing the new one - and invariably all the other ones too :D

My Orange came out at 28.8lbs, Notax's new Orange at 29lbs, and his old (soon to be sold) Heckler at 29.2lbs. All extremely and bizarrely close together, especially given that the Heckler is all XTR, mine XT and the Orange currently a mix of everything!

Anyway, just curious what's constitutes a 'good' weight for a bike? I have no idea :?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on a lot of things. You can get XC race hardtails off the peg that are less than 17lbs - and DH bikes close to 50lbs! Then of course add in budget, strength, etc and etc and you can see the variety.

My three weigh 24lbs, 21lbs and 34lbs, all at different budgets and uses.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Whatever you can be bothered to lug around
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    miss notax
    have a look through the "Your Rides" section and it will show some weights on comparative bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    The Orange sounds about right with pedals attached....

though mine is 28.0 with spd pedals.

:)

Dave.

PS did you do a couple of Wednesday night rides last year around Fareham? Its just your local and i remember a lady on a powder blue heckler.?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    my mojo HD140 is 26.7 with tubes and flat pedals :D reckon with a few ti/alu bolts and setup tubeless i can get it under 26 :D
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    lawman wrote:
    my mojo HD140 is 26.7 with tubes and flat pedals :D reckon with a few ti/alu bolts and setup tubeless i can get it under 26 :D

Ditch a luxury item like front brake or seat and bingo you got a sub 26 bike.
    :D
  • miss notax
    floosy wrote:
    PS did you do a couple of Wednesday night rides last year around Fareham? Its just your local and i remember a lady on a powder blue heckler.?

We ride in the New Forest on Wednesday nights, so it wouldn't have been around Fareham (although we do also ride around there too!) :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1

I don't really care about the weight other than it's heavy to lift, but otherwise fine. I know an ultra light bike is great for climbing as I've experienced, but they feel too feather light for chucking down things. I prefer my tank, it goes through everything :D

Latest enhancement was to go with a bash guard instead of big ring. I added weight as a result. Don't care.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    deadkenny wrote:
    +1

I don't really care about the weight other than it's heavy to lift, but otherwise fine. I know an ultra light bike is great for climbing as I've experienced, but they feel too feather light for chucking down things.

+ Potato, my Felt Compulsion AM is no lightweight, it has a Joplin seatpost, Avid Codes with big discs and I carry an under saddle bag too.

One day at Cannock some weight weenie picked the bike up and was "astounded" at how heaviy it is..
    I told him that I am no leightweight and that his super light XC HT would probably fold under my weight and I'd also bottom his forks out.

My closing statement was that it works for me and a heavier bike will just keep me fitter..

Admittedly I am building a lighter long travel hardtail for Cannock as the Felt is hard work up the fireroad ascents.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Ok my bike Weighs 35pounds.

i run a 2.5" Dh tyre up front which is a bit weighty, but be careful anyone figuring o quotes from the sales cos apparently my bike weighs about 31 lol.

But then i find anything i ride thats is below around 30 generally feels like it's bending in parts to me now :s

But then i can pedal my bike round skyline and others all day, so i feel pedal effieciency is generally a more important factor :)
  • miss notax
    Interesting.... :D

Just to clarify, i'm perfectly happy with my bike how it is and am not concerned about the weight (hence this is the first time I have ever weighed it!) - just slightly amused that the three equally-not-othered-about-weight mountai bikes in our household all came up so close to each other!!

I like how my bike rides which to me is the main thing!

• Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    i must admit weight of bikes does come in to it when i am riding on the road and doing duathlons but my mountain bikes dont really get weighed,

i fall off too much and therefore it needs to stay together and all the leight weight stuff breaks too easy for my liking

plus more weight equals better momentum on the down hill!!! :lol:

(if you start paying £30 for a carbon bottle cage, you've got weight weenie syndrome, and in a bad way)
  • Mine tips the scales at 16.1kg, and i've got plans to add more weight by getting a bash/guide setup and a dropper post.

At first I cared about weight, but then you get fit enough to ride the same speed with the extra weight, so it all balances out.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    My Santa Cruz LT Carbon weighed in at 24lbs on the suitcase scale (which I don't think is all that accurate) and my road bike came in a a whopping 21lbs!
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    Depending on current build my bike hovers about 1lb either side of 30lb which for a HT I guess makes it a bit of a tank.

It won't break though, and me drinking a bit less cider and riding a bit more often will make more difference than spending loads of cash on lighter kit.

slainte :D rob
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    This subject always makes me chuckle. There are a lot of people willing to spend a lot of money on an item because it weighs a few grams less than the model below...then fill a bag with 2 kgs of water and attach it to their back, with a tool kit, 1st aid kit, two spare innertubes etc, then within 100 yds are carrying a kg of mud and water on their bikes, in their teeth and in their clothes. :lol:

Have a big poo before you set off and youre sorted :D
  • milfredo
    People who always bring up the poo analogy amuse me as the logic does not work. Yes having a poo will save weight but it will if the bike is light or heavy and you carry what you deam to be essential kit with you.
  • dan shard
    it was a joke...and the point of the analogy is that you wouldnt notice the weight drop if you did go to the toilet before hand, so why spend extra money on something that weighs much less
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Because every little helps. You may not notice 100g saved on an individual component, but save 100g on everything and you will! I'll wager you'd notice that my bike accelerates and climbs quicker than yours.
  • dan shard
    On a road bike id agree, but on a mtb at a trail centre then Im sorry but I dont.

My last bike was a cube AMS that I upgraded. It was 11kg when I sold it for a trek remedy 8 at 14.5kg. The trek is 3.5kg heavier but significantly faster uphill, downhill through the air, on the flat...you name it. Even on my 42 mile commute on road / canal toe path theres no noticable difference.

the point of this isnt that heavier is better, but that spending a lot on getting lighter for mountain biking isnt always a worthwhile activity.

The caveat with this is that more expensuve things, tend to look a lot nicer, and Im all for bling :D
  • milfredo
    What njee said. Overall you do notice and then if you have that poo you notice even more. I get the joke but I don't agree with the point it try's to make.
  • sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    12.1kgs and a full susser, rolls down mightly quick and climbs like a dream with propedal. Happy days :)
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    9.1kg FS, that really climbs like a dream :-)

I use wheels that are about 700g heavier for playing on, and I don't think they make the bike ride better in any way! Each to their own and that, but IMO lighter bikes are more fun.
  • After reading this thought i'd weigh mine... Came out at 26.5kg. Quite pleased with that for a basic level hardtail tho dont really care about weight as have just made it heavier with bigger discs.

I remember my old steel Kona in 95 was so so much lighter but then it was fully rigid.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    My Edison was around 29, now I have done the 1x9 conversion and a few other little tweaks, it is tickling just under 28lbs - more than light enough for me as it has been built to be reliable, strong and able to take a beating, rather than just lightweight. More than happy with 28lbs for a 6" travel Alpine bike!!
    :D
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    After reading this thought i'd weigh mine... Came out at 26.5kg.
    I hope to the baby Jesus you mean pounds...... or you may win th competition for the heaviest bike on the forum! :wink:
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    Just looking at the pre ride poo, rider weight, kit/water in the camel back comments. Sure all this counts but not nearly as much as bike weight. Just to exaggerate my point, imaging putting 2 bags of sugar in your camel back for a ride.... not ride spoilingly noticable. Now tape those same bags of sugar to your forks and do the ride again. Rides like a dog.

I know this isn't reality due to weight distribution etc, but the point is still the same. If a bike is lighter you can chuck it around and move it easier underneath you. Sure there is a point where you might not want a super light bike for more agressive stuff, but 100g off your bike is worth 10 times that in your camel back or several good laxative induced evacuations!
  • My new full sus is 27.6lb which is less than the hardtail it replaced so that's good.

Although as many people have said, it really isnt the only factor. I feel heavier when I go out for a long ride because i carry more tools, clothes, water etc and it slows you down a bit. When I take nothing for a quick spin around the woods I feel as light as a bird.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    After reading this thought i'd weigh mine... Came out at 26.5kg.
    :shock: