Presta vs Shrader

dizzyduck
dizzyduck Posts: 39
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Was just at my LBS, Edinburgh Bicycle in Leeds, and got a voucher for a Revolution inner tube 3 pack for £5.50 (RRP £10.99). Unfortunately they were sold out of the Shrader tubes, which my Specialized Hardrock is meant to have. A member of staff told me the Presta works fine with Shrader, but not the other way around?

Is this true and is it okay to use Presta tubes on my bike? Will there be any risks or disadvantages? Are there actually any differences between the two in terms of performance or function?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they will fit fine but just be a little loose in the hole.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    See Sheldon Brown.

Presta valves have a smaller diameter than schraeders so while a presta will fit a rim drilled for schraeders, a schraeder will not fit a rim drilled for prestas. The lockring that comes with on the valve is enough to stabilize a presta tube in a rim drilled for schraeders so you should be fine.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    The hole in the rim is smaller with Presta valves
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Personally if your wheel can take a Schrader valve, then I would keep looking. They are so much easier to work with when out on a trail. Presta's are easy to snap if you have a trail pump that directly attaches to the valve.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    diy wrote:
    Personally if your wheel can take a Schrader valve, then I would keep looking. They are so much easier to work with when out on a trail. Presta's are easy to snap if you have a trail pump that directly attaches to the valve.
    In what way are they easier?I've not used Shrader on any bike for the last 25 years or so.I have never snapped a Presta on any MTB or Road bike,even when using a direct mount pump(which I use on the roady).I suppose you could snap a Presta....if you're Ham-fisted/and/or careless :roll:
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    diy wrote:
    In what way are they easier?I've not used Shrader on any bike for the last 25 years or so.I have never snapped a Presta on any MTB or Road bike,even when using a direct mount pump(which I use on the roady).I suppose you could snap a Presta....if you're Ham-fisted/and/or careless :roll:

+ 1

Schrader valves are for cars, wheel barrows and BSO's
  • markowe
    markowe Posts: 24
    Yeah, I have broken off a Presta before, probably I was in a hurry or it was some cheapie no-name inner, but it can happen, you do have to be a bit more careful. Or on some of them the little rubber valve can fly right out so you have to start pumping from scratch. Sure it's down to ham-fistedness for the most part, but most mountain-bikers I know do not exactly have the fingers of a seamstress!

However I still prefer Presta over Schrader as the latter can be very awkward for pumping, depending on the pump - if they only protrude a short way from the rim it can be hard to latch the pump on enough to press the valve in, causing much annoyance (putting it mildly). Swings and roundabouts, as ever...
  • 70s_kid
    70s_kid Posts: 56
    What are the advantages of Presta?

EDIT: Sort of answered while I was posting this. Is that the only advantage?
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Can't say I've ever had much of a problem with either & typically run whichever the wheel came with.

I did have a schrader valve fail (decided to stick down after fixing a puncture) after not replacing lost valve caps but just replaced it with an old woods valve I had in my saddle bag.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nicklouse wrote:
    they will fit fine but just be a little loose in the hole.
    I just spat my coffe, 'cause I thought I'd clicked on Miss Bint's dating advice thread :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Hmm i use the big fat car tyre Shrader easy to fill tubes with anti puncture gunk. Definately less bendy when hit by rocks, and just better for the messy stuff we do in my veiw.

But at he end of the day its an innertube who really gives a rats crackers?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I find it frustrating that I have to carry 2 spare inner tubes because I have presta and my son's specialized has Shrader. He doesnt have space to carry much other than his gloves, glasses and snacks - so I carry all the spare clothes and emergency stuff like pump, tools etc.

You can get an adapter though cant you? I was going to get one of them and only carry 1 siingle spare to cut down on weight and size of emergency kit.
  • Anonymous
    apreading wrote:
    I find it frustrating that I have to carry 2 spare inner tubes because I have presta and my son's specialized has Shrader.
    Just carry presta then. They'll fit in either. :roll:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    apreading wrote:
    I find it frustrating that I have to carry 2 spare inner tubes because I have presta and my son's specialized has Shrader.
    Just carry presta then. They'll fit in either. :roll:

Is this just in a tight spot with no alternative though? Will it damage the valve or risk cutting the rubber around the hole if you do it for any time without the adapter?
  • Anonymous
    Just carry presta then. They'll fit in either
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I snapped a presta, yesterday, top of snowdon whilst trying to keep out of the wind in the cafe doorway :) So was probably not taking as much care as I should of..