Fitting Campag bottom bracket & chainset - which tools?

jvol
jvol Posts: 60
edited April 2011 in Workshop
I'm soon going to be fitting a Centaur bottom bracket and Centaur Ultra-Torque chainset to my winter bike, but can't quite work out exactly which Campag-specific tools I need to buy.

I have exactly the same kit on my best bike, so it will probably be worth investing, but I want to make sure I'm not buying things I don't need.

Can anybody give me a definitive answer as to exactly what I need?

Many thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any HT2 type BB tool (ring type) and a long 10mm allen key socket.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Which tools? The exact ones the instruction manual tells you to use. Really, I'm not kidding. Use the ones you're supposed to use and not some rigged up setup. :wink::wink:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    The manual is a little confusing, because of the different methods you can use to fix the BB cups. I think the "standard method" may even have changed in various versions of the manual. Although actually, the tools you need are the same. For doing up the BB cups, the easiest way is to use the non-threadlock method, which involves tightening to a higher torque.

The minimum you will need is the BB tool , which looks like this, and can be used either with a large torque wrench (it has the square socket) or a normal wrench (using the hexagonal faces):
    CAMPTOOL293000000000_1_zoom.jpg
    ...and a long 10mm allen wrench that has sufficient leverage to tighten the crank bolt. But if you are doing it properly with a torque wrench, then you will need a sufficiently long 10mm allen bit for the torque wrench - this is not a particularly easy thing to get hold of, but there are plenty of online places that have them. They can look like either of the two versions below:campy-cps50-med.jpg518215_1.jpgIf you are using a torque wrench (recommended) you will probably not be able to use the little one you use for tightening stem bolts etc. as it won't go up to a high enough setting or have enough leverage and will have the wrong sized square socket. You will need to get a beefy one like this park tools version. Unfortunately the price of this is a bit of a rip off - there are much cheaper options but just make sure whatever you get is compatible with the bit.
  • jvol
    jvol Posts: 60
    Thanks neeb - just what I was looking for, and pretty much confirms what I already thought.

Cheers.