Consequences of being a bottom bracket spacer short?

Stu 74
Stu 74 Posts: 463
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Mate has just bought a second bike and I agreed to set up the gears for him.

The bike has a triple XT crankset and what appears to be a hollowtech bottom bracket. The bb shell is 68mm.

Got all the gears working but noticed that there is one spacer either side of the bb (when there should normally be one on the non drive side but two on the drive side).

The cranks are spinning smoothly and there is no play in the bb which indicates that the cranks are firm up against it.

I'm guessing that being one spacer short will affect the chainline which may result in a slight increase in wear on the drive train. Apart from this, are there any other consequences?

Cheers

Stu

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the cranks cant be preloading the bearings correctly.

what is the bike?

pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stu 74
    I thought that but there is no side to side play when I grab the cranks and try and rock them side to side.

I couldn't say the exact width of the bb shell as I couldn't get my ruler in there completely but it is certainly closer to 68mm than it is 73mm.

The frame has been sprayed but apparently its a Merlin frame. Looks like it might be a Malt 4.

Cheers

Stu
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sure one of the spacers isn't 5mm?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stu 74
    No both spacers are the same and they look like 2.5mm.

Are there any circumstances where you would have the same amount of spacers on both the drive and non drive side? Could it be a frame specific thing?

Cheers

Stu
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope.

the only reason to have one each side is if there is a BB mount Mech or chain device mounted on a 68mm BB Or it is a Sram GXP BB and crank on a 68mm BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stu 74
    OK cheers guys.

Stu