What can you use to clean a rotor ?

cpk1
cpk1 Posts: 175
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi is there anything that you can use to clean the rotor, as i have brake fluid all over it ? Would white spirits work , industrial paint thinners etc or is it better just to buy something in a can which is actually made to do the job ?
Trail bike: Kona Coiler 06, Rockshox domain 318is, juicy 7s, sun rims s-type.
Commute bike: Dawes Watoga.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cycle brake cleaner or Isopropyl alcohol

or take them off and in the sink with some fair and rinse very well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • islandman
    islandman Posts: 73
    Brillo pad and washing up liquid, perfect every time.
  • cpk1
    Where would i be able to get some Isopropyl alcohol ?
  • BikingBob
    BikingBob Posts: 77
    Chemist I get mine from

89% Isopropyl Alcohol

That and a nice fine emery cloth over the surface, very clean rotor...... :)
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Ebay I have used these people the last 2 times I bought and it is the proper 99% pure industrial stuff. Stuff you get from a chemist is only medicianal spirit 70 % still works but doesnt quite have the same oomph
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IPA-ISOPROPYL-ALCOHOL-ISOPROPANOL-1-LITRE-min-99-pure-/220465604731?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item3354c6287b
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • BikingBob
    I'm not going to end up on a terror watch-list ordering that stuff am I????
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • stubs
    No its used for loads of things from making bio diesel to modelmaking. I put some in my screenwash in winter and you never get a frozen windscreen. Unless your name is Osama BikingBob
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • BikingBob
    No, but 470 of my mates have recently just crawled through a 100 meter tunnel ...... they are sat here now cleaning my brake disks.

Seriously...
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • stubs
    :lol:
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Is the muc off disc cleaner any good?
  • BikingBob
    Muc-Off Disc cleaner is also very good, uses a similar chemical make up I think...
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Can you spray it into you brakes?
  • I use a good squirt of car brake cleanr fluid on the rotor and pads ( calipers as well ) cleans all the gunk and dust out nicely and leaves the disc clean and grease free.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just be aware that some Car disc cleaners do contain oils to help reduce corrosion on the automotive cast iron discs.

this is not good for cycle brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    IPA from ebay, the 99% stuff. I've bought loads of the stuff from various ebay sellers, perfect every time.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • cpk1
    Cheers for all the replies :D
  • Have you tried chain lube? :twisted:
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    +1on IPa 99.9% works quite well.

The other norm for me (and not mentioned above) is FIRE!!!

Get a pencil blowtorch and go around the disk slowly, very slowly. You will be able to see the oil as it burns (do not confuse it with the condensate).

if you have one piece rotors, just stick them in the oven on gas mark 3 for 20 minutes.
    Do not put two part rotors in the oven, you must pencil torch them.

As brake fluid is hygroscopic, washing the fluid off with water should do it. The above are best for oils, especially fork oil.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • cpk1
    I have ordered some IPA 99% should do the trick not too expensive either
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    cavegiant wrote:
    As brake fluid is hygroscopic, washing the fluid off with water should do it. .

Agree. Not sure that you should need to invest in anything else.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500