thinking of wheel build with 38 or 42mm clinchers, advice?

stardude
stardude Posts: 255
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I currently run a set of shimano R550 wheels on my 2005/6 Giant TCR Team. They were the 105 wheels of that year.
they weigh 1852g as a pair

I like these wheels and they have done well, but I feel they are coming towards the end of thier lives, as they are 5/6 years old and have been used in rain, dry, summer and winter, with a rider varying from 16st to 18.

After doing some reading, they are a pain for spares as they are a strange configuration.
The front is 16h and has aero stainless spokes with a straight pull hub (no elbows on the spokes).

The rear is 20h and the drive side spokes are laced like the front, and the left side of the wheel is straight pull, but they cross over each other close to the hub.

With these wheels, I found out that if you break a spoke, or you need a new rim, you basically have to get a new wheel, as you cant buy the spokes anymore and I think the hubs only work with those rims, or you are very limited with 16h rims.

Now, for when I get some new wheels I am looking to get some deep section clinchers. somewhere around 38-42mm. I am also a bit of a tart when it comes to buying nice things, so have started looking at carbon clinchers with alloy braking surfaces (as I will use it in all weather and want the longevity of the alloy surface over carbon)

I won't have a huge budget when I sort these out either.

I found these on eBay: 20h, 24h 42mm and 630g each

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Carbon-Road-Bike-700C-Wheel-Rims-42mm-/300543610478?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item45f9cb8e6e

and I can also get these hubs from the same seller for £30 extra: (they seem to have some good reviews, not seen anything bad)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Novatec-A271SB-F372SB-Alloy-Road-Bicycle-Rim-Hubs-/300546498150?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item45f9f79e66

The thing is the weight of the hubs and the rims adds to the same weight of my current wheels fully built (rims, spokes, hubs).

I did however find a seller who sells a 38mm carbon clincher with alloy surface at 510g each. I'm just waiting for them to get back to me. Model number WH-009

Carbon_Fiber_Wheelsets.jpg

If I used these rims, and the above hubs, they would weight in at 1510g without spokes.

If I did this I would be getting a local shop to supply the spokes and build the wheels for me. Anyone have any idea of how much a shop would charge to build a pair of wheels up?

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Does it seem ok? Anything you would change? (within reason)

Cheers

Adam

Comments

• cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Cosmic sl's?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • stardude
    Cosmic sl's?

unfortunalty i'm not in a position to spend over £1000 on wheels >_<
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you want light deep section rims you'll need to go for full carbon clinchers. The 630g rims are a bit of a joke really - they might look ok, but that is a ridiculously heavy rim.

If you're not prepared to go for full carbon clinchers then my advice would be to go for something like the IRD Cadence Aero rims - 30mm deep so aero-ish and about 450g so light-ish. If you upped your budget a bit on hubs then and built them up with Sapim CX-rays then you could easily build up a sub 1500g wheelset.

FWIW I have IRD Cadence Aero rims built onto a PowerTap rear hub and Ambrosio front with CX-rays and it's a great do everything wheelset (I train and race on mine).
    More problems but still living....
  • stardude
    amaferanga wrote:
    If you want light deep section rims you'll need to go for full carbon clinchers. The 630g rims are a bit of a joke really - they might look ok, but that is a ridiculously heavy rim.

If you're not prepared to go for full carbon clinchers then my advice would be to go for something like the IRD Cadence Aero rims - 30mm deep so aero-ish and about 450g so light-ish. If you upped your budget a bit on hubs then and built them up with Sapim CX-rays then you could easily build up a sub 1500g wheelset.

FWIW I have IRD Cadence Aero rims built onto a PowerTap rear hub and Ambrosio front with CX-rays and it's a great do everything wheelset (I train and race on mine).

are these your wheel by any chance?

SL+IRD.jpg

cant find any price for the rims though.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    stardude wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

are these your wheel by any chance?

SL+IRD.jpg

cant find any price for the rims though.

Yep, but the first thing I did was remove the ugly decals. If you were looking at the Wheelsmith website then they don't sell rims only.

You can buy them here for £60 each. They're Kinlin rims though and I think they're the same rim as the Halo Mercury which can be had for about £41.99 from Winstanleys (that's if they actually have them - they often don't have things that are listed on their website).
    More problems but still living....
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    ...a lot less if you catch them in stock. They were selling them for £599 here at Xmas (but they didn't last long at that price!)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPM ... 011-wheels
  • stardude
    basically i cant afford them even on offer. i wouldnt be able to go over £300 ideally
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    My local shop charged me £50 for building a pair of wheels, although they supplied the parts. I wouldn't be happy with a wheelbuilder using rims he wasn't familiar with, how would he know how much tension they could take? If I were looking at cheap aero wheels I would take a look at Velocity deep v's. Ive got a pair of aerohead rc's and can't say a bad word against them. Brixton bikes will do you a pair under £300, but please steer clear of the dayglo coloured rims favoured by the fixie crowd :-)