Play in front disc / hub

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just noticed today, well noticed friday night after a dodgy landing / crash :D that if i hold the front brake and rock the bike front to back, there's ever so slight play in the disc / hub.
What I mean is, the disc is held still in the caliper but the wheel moves ever so slightly, you can see the hub turning a couple of degrees, but the disc is still..

Using centrelock discs, does it sound like a simple case of buying a centrelock tool and tightening it?

Avid discs on shimano centre lock & XT thru axle hub if it makes any differnce.

Planning on doing snowdon on Friday, so want to make sure there is no issue with it.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try tightening the centrelock, but I think the rivets may be loose in which case you need a new rotor.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    The centre locks sometimes move (my old ones did )
    this was covered not so long ago by someone else in a thread
    get it removed and check the splines if thats where the play is and if there fine as already said try tightening the centre lock its the same as the shimano cassette nut on the back if you have one do it up tighter than 40nm just use common sence when tightening
    mines not the first ive seen or heard about with a litttle play
    its not an issue as your only ever putting force one way under braking so it wont rattle back and forth under normal use .
  • DodgeT
    Cheers for the replies guys, i'll get myself a tool and have a check.

I take it this is right for the job http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cassette-Tool-Shimano-Centrelock-Type-PRO-Level-Quality-/160472305909?pt=UK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item255ce510f5
  • paul20v
    Thats the one 8)
  • DodgeT
    It's the wrong tool... right for the rear hub, but not the front. Front is the same as hollowtech bb fitting - for which I have a tool, but have leant out.... Only just bloomin realised this...

Anyway, before I get to tighten it, I don't think it'll make much difference, as what is happening is that the disc can move ever so slightly on the pegs.
    Pics attached showing before and after turning the disc. Albeit it is very tight, you can just budge it by hand.
    I'm guessing it'll be fine, as once its clicked to the position it'll be in when braking, it aint going to move again - unless you apply the brakes while going backwards :D

cl2.jpg

cl1.jpg
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    "moving on the pegs" - you mean the 6 "rivets" holding the disc on the alloy centre carrier or you refer to the splines on the carrier/hub?

if the frist, then tighteing the lock ring isn't going to help.
  • paul20v
    My bad i forgot the front was different
    but as said above the disc is buggered if theres play in the rivets its a new one im affraid
  • DodgeT
    No worries, i'd already bought it anyway and it'll come in handy at some stage.

So, tightened the front lock nut, hey presto, all is well :D