DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon all

Have made a few changes recently to my drivetrain

• Moving from 2x9 to 1x9
• Changing to a 36T single speed chainring up front
• Using a chainguide

When i moved to 36T up front i didn’t alter the length of the chain (moving from 32T)

80% of the time i only use the bottom 3 gears as most of my riding is done on relatively flat trail

When i try and use any higher gears, i get slippage. No slippage when indexing gears off the bike, but as soon as i put any pressure on the pedal, i get slipping

The chainguide im using is a BB mounted one. I did think that this was the problem i.e. altering the chainline, but the frame uses an e-Type front mech, so using a BB mounted guide would have a similar effect surely ?

Will this be the biggest factor in the slipping gears ? or does the chain length/tension effect this also ?

Most effective way of addressing this ? given that im only using one chainring up front, i need some sort of guide

Toying with fashioning some sort of mount for the existing guide using the frame bolt that secures the e-Type mech, but im not convinced this is a goer

Anybody got any ideas ? anyone running 1x9 that’s had a similar problem ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well if you want to use all the gears you will need a longer chain.

36T is on the middle position?

what cranks?
    and how it the chain "slipping" is it the chain over the cassette? or the cassette on the hub or the chain over the chain ring?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    36T is in the middle position

chain slippage on the cassette

so the shift happens no probs, but when i put any pressure on the pedal, the chain slips on the cassette

SLX cranks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    worn cassette then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    cassette was replaced with the chain less than 3 months ago after experiencing slipping on the lowest gears

if the cassette was worn, wouldnt the chain slip on the most commonly used cogs versus the least ?