Can't change the pedals :(

V6Matt
V6Matt Posts: 8
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
You will soon tell but not too much of an expert when it comes to bikes.

I just bought my sister a little used run around Peugeot mountain bike (probably about 10 years old).

I bought the bike knowing one of the pedals needed replacing (and therefore both), as one pedal is only showing the middle metal axle and the plastic surround is entirely missing.

Anticipated this to be an easy job but how wrong was I, it seems the pedals dont use a standard 15mm spanner and it seems to be closer to 18.5mm (18mm too small, 19mm too big). Tried both metric and imperial spanners with no luck.

Soaked the threads (as much as I can) in GT85 and tried everything from monkey wrenches to mole grips, can't get any grip at all. There is an allen key on the inside, but there doesnt seem to want to go anywhere either.

Any tips? :)

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    you know the left pedal is a left handed thread right???
  • V6Matt
    you know the left pedal is a left handed thread right???

Thanks ricardo, this one is the right pedal. I checked online and they sais to point the spanner towards the back of the bike on either side and that should see you through. The mole grips just spin on the surface, so you cant get any real bite :(
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Use the allen key and add a long pole to the end on it such as an old handlebar or some other metal pipe to increase leverage. I found this made even the toughest allen bolts easy to remove assuming that reasonable quality allen keys are used.

If the allen key hole has rounded out I've heard a torx (star) wrench can be tapped in with a hammer but i've never tried this myself.
  • V6Matt
    sharky1029 wrote:
    Use the allen key and add a long pole to the end on it such as an old handlebar or some other metal pipe to increase leverage. I found this made even the toughest allen bolts easy to remove assuming that reasonable quality allen keys are used.

If the allen key hole has rounded out I've heard a torx (star) wrench can be tapped in with a hammer but i've never tried this myself.

Thanks sharky, just tried this and managed to snap a fairly reasonable quality allen key in 2! (I was spinning this in the same direction as the mole grips), although I did it via a large spanner attached over the end, maybe too much pressure on one point. Will see if I can find another allen key and a more pipe like object to remove.
  • V6Matt
    The old pedals are "lyotard pl112" if that helps :s

Would drilling them out from the allen key side be an idea?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    6mmallen.jpg

Halfords sell individual 3/8" drive allen key sockets

Use with a breaker bar and some plus gas
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • V6Matt
    GTD. wrote:
    6mmallen.jpg

Halfords sell individual 3/8" drive allen key sockets

Use with a breaker bar and some plus gas

Now thats an idea, I actually have a set of some allen key sockets hidden in the garage somewhere. Fingers crossed I have a 3/8
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    By 3/8" I mean 3/8" Square drive allen socket.... its probably a 6mm Allen socket you need.

Halfords Professional Hexagon Bit Socket 6mm 3/8" Drive Cat code: 168013-0

They have a lifetime guarantee, if it rounds or snaps they give you a new one :D
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • V6Matt
    GTD. wrote:
    By 3/8" I mean 3/8" Square drive allen socket.... its probably a 6mm Allen socket you need.

Halfords Professional Hexagon Bit Socket 6mm 3/8" Drive Cat code: 168013-0

They have a lifetime guarantee, if it rounds or snaps they give you a new one :D

Thanks, sorry was just being dim. I am very much used to metric and having been looking at imperial numbers all morn I forgot the socket set format.

I will probably stick it on the end of a torque bar with a little converter, fingers crossed :D
  • V6Matt
    Just tried again and I do have a 6mm but it was just that little too small. The allen key is actually imperial size 1/4 (not the drive but the end), so will need to see if Halfords do imperial in the right size.
  • i had a slight issue with pedal, clipless that is.

Make sure that when you lossen the right pedal you remeber if you using allen key to remove pedal from behind you got to take it into account,

its reverse

so to loosen a right side pedal with a allen key from the left of the pedal, you got to turn clockwise to loosen.

hope this helps as it isnt anti clockwise if you trying to take pedal off from the left of it, ie hex key type
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners