Wil my Reba make it?

davildo
davildo Posts: 162
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Learned friends,

My 2010 RS Reba team is overdue a service. I think it suffers from the oil leak problem that is apparently quite common for this fork.
The lockout has stopped working and there is some sign of oil on the back of the fork legs. Also if I let the air out of the positive chamber the whole stanchion does not go into the leg, about 2.5cm remains out, which apparently indicates the leak.
There is not a significant loss of travel yet.
I am going to get it serviced by TF tuned.
However, I am off to C-Y-B on Friday and have not got time to get the fork serviced before I go.
Is it OK to ride until I get it serviced when I get back? Am I risking damaging the fork by riding it like this?
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    it's not ideal being honest. especially seen as it's leaking already. The whole stanchion will not go all the way into the leg as the fork slightly narrows in at the bottom and there is a bump stop in there anyway. I you're really struggling i'd say put a few mors PSI in the chambers and check regularly.

However if they were my forks I'd not be riding with them in that state.
  • davildo
    Having investigated further...
    I think the oil on the legs is actually just the wet lube that I use on the seal on the stanchions after a ride.
    I wiped all the oil off and went for a bump round the local woods. No more oil on the legs.
    From what I have read, and advice on here, the oil leak is internal, not actually leaking out from inside the fork.
    Also, I don't seem to lose much pressure from either chamber.
    I think I will add a touch more air to harden them a bit and keep an eye on things whilst I am away.
    Thanks for your advice Ricardo.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    NP

If it's only the lockout that's not working and you have no external leaking oil than keep the pressures the same and ride it as hard as you like. the lockout is only a gateway in the Motion Control damper, you won't break it

:D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • davildo
    Cheers Nick. I have seen that, which is why I thought it was an oil leak.
    What I want to know is if a fork with this problem will cope with a weekend of hard riding because I haven't got time to get it serviced until I get back from Wales.
    Will I cause more damage by riding it like that?