Upgrading Fulcrum 7s

solboy
solboy Posts: 368
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I would like to upgrade my FR 7s for two reasons. 1) i want a better quatily wheel set on my Van Nicholas and 2) I hate the noise the hub makes on the FR 7s. I am looking at DT Swiss R1900s, RS 80s etc.

Can someone advise if its just the Fulcrums that have the loud clicky free hub or fo other manufacters have the same issue?

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    You can get rid of most of the noise by dismantling and greasing the freehub (quite easy to do). Mine had very little grease and what was there had solidified Dont let me put you off the upgrade though!
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    My 2001 Record hubs were noisy until I greased them - these have built in grease ports, unlike the current model.
    I also run Protons that aren't too noisy and suspect that the brilliant Neutron wheels may be similar. These are great value at about 370 (Parker or Ribble) and would make the ideal upgrade should you wish to stick with factory wheels.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Fulcrum is owned by Campy and both have a reputation for loud freehubs. Careful is right though, a little grease will make them a lot quieter.

Re the upgrade. I love my RS80's so far. Well worth the upgrade from your R7's (quiet too).
  • I have a set of Fulcrum 7's and a set of 3's and both are totally silent, it's like stealth mode in Airwolf which is not ideal in London traffic! I feel hard done by as wanted some noise!!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Love the noise from my R5`s and pro2`s on the MTB..

:)

Dave.
  • My sevens were noisy my fives are silent
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Have two sets of Racing 7s which both sound like horrible football rattles. My Racing 3s are far better.
    I also have two DT Swiss RR1850 rear wheels with 240S hubs and they too are also quite loud but more Swiss watch than Happy Meal freebie.

I've a couple of sets of Shimano wheels including Dura-Ace hubbed 7850s but I think my battered and abused Mavic Aksiums still probably have the quietest freewheel.