Replacing a chainring, brand compatibility?

lovepasty
lovepasty Posts: 53
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

The outer chainring has lost a tooth and needs replacing, this is a cheap truvative chainset that came with my Fury. my question, can I replace this with a shimano or other brand outer or do I need to stick to Truvative?

Also, is it worth replacing or better off just getting a complete new chainset?

Thanks

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    you can use any brand so long as the BCD is the same
  • lovepasty
    Excuse the ignorance...BCD?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • lovepasty
    Ah, thanks
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    edited April 2011
    I think he means 'PCD', which stands for Pitch Circle Diameter. That is the diameter of the circle that the bolts are pitched around.

Campag standards are 135 PCD, Shimano's are 130. I'll not go into compacts, just because I can't remember those.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's mainly referred to as BCD though, though PCD is sometimes used.
  • I've been riding mine with a missing tooth for a year, can't say I've noticed any problems!
  • Sirius631
    edited April 2011
    supersonic wrote:
    It's mainly referred to as BCD though, though PCD is sometimes used.

I suppose 'B' might stand for 'bolt', but PCD is the main term within engineering as it's not just bolt holes that it's used for. My only chainrings that say one or the other, my Rotors, actually say 'PCD'.
  • lovepasty
    You notice it on mine when the chain get caught on the broken tooth... :shock:
  • Sirius631
    Some chainrings have a half tooth, but the location of this is in coordination with lift pins and ramps to aid shifting.
  • Sirius631 wrote:
    Some chainrings have a half tooth, but the location of this is in coordination with lift pins and ramps to aid shifting.

Mine's definitely missing, I hit a log and it snapped off when I tried to ease it back into position.