what equipment should i get

trigg780
trigg780 Posts: 7
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
picking up a boardman comp from halfords on cycle 2 work scheme tomorrow, will have £90 left over, soooo what should i spend it on ?

i'm thinking , shorts,gloves and helmet (giro indicator), should i be getting something else ?
i'm new to mtb so have nothing.

Comments

• rippleman
    rippleman Posts: 27
    spare tube, tyre levers, pump, helmet (that'll probably do most of your £90)

then worry about aesthetics afterwards
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Get a puncture repair kit with tyre levers in it, patching inner tubes is much cheaper than replacing them each time you get a puncture, that said a spare tube won't hurt.

Pump, helmet, if you can afford it then some gloves to give your hands some padding and protection.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What Angry bird said.
    I generally cary a spare tube, to swap over if I get a puncture when out, then I fix the punctured tube when I get home, and it then becomes my spare for the next ride.
  • Stan..
    Stan.. Posts: 9
    To the list above I would add some chain lube. Also if you are at Halfords they have a 3 for 2 offer on at the moment and a £10 voucher if you spent over £50 so see what deal they will do.
    I only started riding last September and what has been listed above is all I needed although I have pick up some winter gloves and some other bits since then.
  • 70s_kid
    70s_kid Posts: 56
    edited April 2011
    How about these? I started a couple of months ago and have spent about that much:

Bell Slant Helmet - £30 Halfords (normal price £45)
    Park Rescue Tool - £14.99 CRC (normal price £16.99)
    Royal Pro Gloves - £13.98 CRC (normal price £27.99)
    Blackburn Mammoth 2 stage pump - £9 CRC (normal price £24.99)
    Continental MTB inner tube £2.99 Evans Cycles (normal price £4.99)
    Topeak Glueless patch kit £1.99 CRC (they have worked as a permanent repair so far unlike some others)
    Endura Spectrum glasses £14.99 (seem to be £14.99 wherever you buy them from) they are really comfortable and the anti-fog works well.

That takes care of about £90, don't think it will stop there though, you'll always be thinking of something else that you "need". :wink:
  • Anonymous
    That would be brilliat advice, if everybody's head and hands were the same shape.
    Unfortunately, with those two pieces of kit in particular, you really have to try them on for fitting.
  • 70s_kid
    That would be brilliat advice, if everybody's head and hands were the same shape.
    Unfortunately, with those two pieces of kit in particular, you really have to try them on for fitting.

Very true, fortunately the helmet size is adjustable, and they even do different sizes in the gloves! Got to make sure they fit though, quite right. :)
  • Anonymous
    Helmet SIZE is adjustable, yes. Helmet shape, however, is not.
    Same with the gloves. This may come as a surprise to you (considering your above post) but different people have different shaped hands, as well as being differently sized.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get a track pump as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 70s_kid
    Agreeing with you all the way mate, my Royal Pro's fit me like a glove, but look at the state of my hands...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/434 ... d65822.jpg
  • 70s_kid
    Sorry, one too many bank holiday ciders I think :oops:
  • Anonymous
    70s_kid wrote:
    No, I think being a grade-A fukkwit happened before the cider.
  • 70s_kid
    Oh dear, sorry to upset you yeehaamcgee, I'll go and sit with the Mrs if I want to be berated.

I was only making suggestions, didn't really think it warranted an "
    if everybody's head and hands were the same shape" type comment.

Never mind. See you in the morning. Sweet dreams.
  • dizzyduck
    dizzyduck Posts: 39
    70s_kid wrote:
    No, I think being a grade-A fukkwit happened before the cider.

he didn't say anything to warrant that mate. he was just trying to be helpful (successfully)

Helmet SIZE is adjustable, yes. Helmet shape, however, is not.
    Same with the gloves. This may come as a surprise to you (considering your above post) but different people have different shaped hands, as well as being differently sized.

you on the other hand, deserve to be called a fukkwit.

thanks for the good buying advice 70s_kid.
  • Anonymous
    :roll: go on then, buy a helmet that's the wrong shape. In the long run I'm sure it will actually make a lot of people happy.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    With cycle2work I'm fairly sure you have to buy the accessories and safety equipment from the same place you get the bike at the same time as part of the voucher?

In which case 70s_kid that list is fairly useless.

Having said that until then nobody had suggested a mini tool, just something basic, unless you already have some tools at home.

If this isn't the case then shop around, you can always try something on at your LBS and then go and find it cheaper online, having said that it's nice to support the LBS and helpful to get to know the guys there if you ever need any help.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    cooldad wrote:
    Get a track pump as well.
    This... especially if you are a Dad and are expected to pump up everyone else's tyres :roll:
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • trigg780
    cheers for all the advice guys,

I ended up getting

helmet
    gloves
    Pump
    couple of inner tubes
    a puncture repair kit with levers.
    and some lube.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I agree with Angry Bird - you really do need a mini-tool. Halfords cheapest is around £7.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/black-mul ... 117024896/

I like mine from Decathlon and that was £6.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/black-mul ... 117024896/
    I have seen more featured multi tools at Halfords (just way cool they are) but more money too.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • trigg780
    the puncture repair kit i bought came with a tool,
    what does everyone use to carry their spares/tools etc when you're out and about ?
  • 70s_kid
    Pockets/Back pack/saddle bag, whatever you're most comfortable with and/or can afford.
  • whitestar1
    trigg780 wrote:
    the puncture repair kit i bought came with a tool,
    what does everyone use to carry their spares/tools etc when you're out and about ?

Backpack for me
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    back pack on mtb, pockets and saddle bag on road.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    what about a first aid kit? mini one to take out. better to be safe just in case.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I take a first aid kit, and a map and compass, and a whistle etc. on the mtb. Don't bother on local road rides 'cos by definition, I'll be near some roads and possible help.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    trigg780 wrote:
    cheers for all the advice guys,

I ended up getting

helmet
    gloves
    Pump
    couple of inner tubes
    a puncture repair kit with levers.
    and some lube.

Thats about all you need.

Then you'll be thinking of a Hydration pack, shoes...

The list goes on :wink:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • whitestar1
    my first aid kit is home made (everything from Asda) along with a chocolate bar
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Sounds like youve got the basics sorted - helmets/gloves etc

You need to be able to fix the most common breakdowns on the trail and gain some
    knowledge in how to do them.
    Puncture:
    Minimum: puncture repair kit, pump.
    What i carry: Above + 2x spare tubes + tyre boot + CO2 (you can improvise a tyre boot and a CO2 (16g+) is useful in bad weather, to seat tubeless or just being lazy).
    Mechanical:
    Multi tool inc chain splitter + small needle nosed pliers (found these really useful over the years) + a few spare bits of chain + 2x power links + zip ties + loop of rolled up gaffa tape
    Health and Safety
    Food + Enough Fluids + emergency food ;) + map (even if its familiar you might need a short cut back) + compas + whisle + money + mobile phone.

Normally you learn the lesson of what else to take when something breaks or goes wrong :wink: and ultimately MTBing can take you miles from nowhere so being able to fix most things is priceless.