4x bike

clen666
clen666 Posts: 36
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Hi all, apologies if this is in wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it.

I stripped down a kona scab (15" I think) that I purchased a few years ago with the intention of building it back up for a bit of street thrashing but after watching some 4x racing on eurosport I'm up for a bit of that!

I don't know much about the ideal 4x bike geo, so after advice as to whether the Scab frame would be suitable?

Also what forks are people using for 4x? I take it marz. 4x rc3 are designed for it but any other recommendations?

Appreciate any advice!

Comments

• NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    it would be ok . i'd go for old school `zocchi's and good wheels .
  • NatoED
    some thing like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marzocchi-Classic-2002-Dirt-Jumper-1-Suspension-Forks-/230611479658?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item35b183ec6a

It has open bath damping 20mm axle , lovely fork when marzocchi were real Italian forks ( i had a pair until 2 weeks ago of z1 from that year. ) that are great value
  • clen666
    Ah great, cheers mate.

Will be trying to complete this on a tight budget so cheap forks would be a bonus!
  • NatoED
    don't scrimp on wheels . spend as much as you can on them . and buy 2 or three sets . that way if you wreak one set you can still ride .
  • clen666
    Any suggestions for wheels? I'm guessing they would need to be reasonably strong?
  • NatoED
    Hope hubs are a good start . Rim depend on what you know. Halo rims are good quality for price . I had a set of combat multi rims . the rear one got changed for a DT swiss cos i don't do DH and dirt jumping so much . But they lasted me over 11 years with no fuss. If you are getting halos get the multi rims . they dent less than the disc only rim ( different shape shoulder)

Mavic make nice heavy duty rims and Sun ringle are pretty strong too .
  • clen666
    Thanks for the advice.

Will just be sticking the stock wheels back on until I have the spare cash, which will hopefully be sooner rather than later as the wheels are not the best!

So overall are 4x bikes just very similar to dirt jump bikes? Any major differences?
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    clen666 wrote:
    So overall are 4x bikes just very similar to dirt jump bikes? Any major differences?

gears and SPDs if your racing
  • NatoED
    longer suspension which is softer and much lighter bike over all .
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    yeah, the scab looks like a pretty good 4x bike to me.

people use either fox 831(expensive but amazing), fox f100 or f120. the rock shox pikes wound down for lower travel, rock shox reba and marzocchi dj forks but they are quite heavy. on a tight budget though older marzocchi forks(pre 07) are always a good choice. not many use the marzocchi 4x forks, people tend to go for better performing and lighter offerings from fox and RS

wheels wise, stock will do but you'll want something strong, light and good lasting hubs.

difference from dirt jump bikes:
    much lighter, especially the race bikes which ae usally under 25lbs
    front and rear brakes
    gears
    longer frames
    spds instead of flats

i wouldn't say they have longer forks, i have seen hardly anyone run forks longer than 120mm and that tends to be a rarity these days, also people run the forks stiff to get the power down
  • NatoED
    Yeah 130mm max but longer than the 80mm on dirt jump bikes which hardly move. for 4X weight mean acceleration , less weight quicker to accelerate and easier to flick around .