Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Mount it on the bike? Are you not worried about how easily it could get destroyed...
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Biologic / Dahon do a dedicated iPhone holder...very very water resistance and protects your phone...their £50 new though.
    I've got one I used twice (then bought a Garmin so not needed) so is as new...let me know if your interested :wink:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Handlebar-Mount-W ... 588aebba08

Just got one for my Nokia E71

Seems to be good for the job.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    Yeah I am worried :? but I have these very good apps that I use and having the phone in my backpack doesn't help.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    turnerjohn wrote:
    Biologic / Dahon do a dedicated iPhone holder...very very water resistance and protects your phone...their £50 new though.
    I've got one I used twice (then bought a Garmin so not needed) so is as new...let me know if your interested :wink:

Thanks for the offer will consider it. I will look it up first.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What apps (plural?) do you really need when riding?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Infinately bad and rather pointless idea, cycle computer will surely do everything you need and a map in your bag for navigation?
  • whitestar1
    Currently using BikeMateLite, CycleMaps,CycleStreets,BikeDoctor. I beg to differ with Mr Bennett. I like keeping track of the data I generate. I am planning to get a mount for the iphone.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • I track my data on my iPhone on every ride but really don't see the point in having it infront of me on the bike! I start my gps app and check it if I stop and at the end. That's the only time u need it. Attaching it to the bike will just kill it when u bin the bike at some point.
    At the end of the day it's a phone and not robust enough to take any real abuse .
    Cube Acid 2011
  • turnerjohn
    Infinately bad and rather pointless idea, cycle computer will surely do everything you need and a map in your bag for navigation?

you never used a Garmin in that case ?...far from pointless...try one...you wont go back...and means you dont need to mess around with maps and records everything ! (and yes I can read an OS map lol)
  • cooldad
    A Garmin is probably a bit more robust than an iPod.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    cooldad wrote:
    A Garmin is probably a bit more robust than an iPod.

+1as it's made for that job
  • bennett_346
    turnerjohn wrote:

you never used a Garmin in that case ?...far from pointless...try one...you wont go back...and means you dont need to mess around with maps and records everything ! (and yes I can read an OS map lol)
    A Garmin is not an iphone, so what is your point here? Did you read the thread? He was asking about mounts for an iphone.
  • iasgair
    iasgair Posts: 7
    I have been using the tigra phone mount, it appears to be identical to the biologic/dahon one. I have had no problems with it. I've used it for both GPS apps on rough natural trails and just music/calls while commuting and it is ok (just watch the headphone cable with the rest of your handlebar furniture).
    It seems very secure, the installation was easy peasy and removal from the handlebars and into pocket is as simple as it gets. I have used it in bad weather (I live in the highlands of Scotland) and the Phone stayed dry.

Here is a review
    http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling- ... nt-review/
  • cooldad
    Suggest leave the iPhone in the Audi.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • whitestar1
    turnerjohn wrote:

here, here :lol:
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    cooldad wrote:

Actually Cooldad I have an Audi A4, I want the phone on my bike now :D I like the sound of the Tigra also looking at the RAM mount too.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • cooldad
    whitestar1 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Actually Cooldad I have an Audi A4, I want the phone on my bike now :D I like the sound of the Tigra also looking at the RAM mount too.

Just an educated guess.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn wrote:

A Garmin is not an iphone, so what is your point here? Did you read the thread? He was asking about mounts for an iphone.

of cause you can't make calls on a Garmin...I never said you can ! it was the (quote) "Infinately bad and rather pointless idea," (un-quote} ...thats NOT true....Garmin records (and shows) all this data and more which is far from pointless and a valuable training tool (as well keeping you on track) !...there seems to be a fair few Garmin followers on here so I can't be wrong !
  • bennett_346
    turnerjohn wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:

of cause you can't make calls on a Garmin...I never said you can ! it was the (quote) "Infinately bad and rather pointless idea," (un-quote} ...thats NOT true....Garmin records (and shows) all this data and more which is far from pointless and a valuable training tool (as well keeping you on track) !...there seems to be a fair few Garmin followers on here so I can't be wrong !
    But does that require the iphone to be on the bars? The answer being no, it can be set then put in a bag away from risk of damage.
  • whitestar1
    You are so right about the Garmin been very useful for training TurnerJohn. Some of us really have to know 8) The thing is a smartphone (iPhone :twisted: ) is the perfect device, apart from battery drain for such purposes.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • ed_arnold
    ed_arnold Posts: 65
    whitestar1 wrote:
    Hi all
    I need to get my iphone 3gs on my bike. I am asking 3 qestions here:
    1 What are you using
    2 How was the installation
    3 Was it worth the cost/effort

1. Dahon Biologic iPhone case/bikemount
    2. Dead easy - phone is pretty secure on the bars in light offroad use
    3. I paid about £40 - the hard case is pretty decent as it let's you still attach the doc connector to charge from an external backup battery etc. Full touch screen function with only slight reduction in sensitivity. Showerproof, but wouldn't leave phone in there during a downpour.
    I've got to say I haven't used mine too much - I did an 85 mile road ride and used it on the bars to follow a route I made in Runkeeper. For the off-road trails, or when it pours, I put the iPhone in a waterproof pocket in my pack.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    1. RAM mount approx £17 on Amazon
    2. 2 minutes to fit on the bars, near the stem
    3. Well worth it.

I use MotionX, running OpenCycle off road maps and this transforms rides large forests like Epping. I was there yesterday, iPhone on the bars and you can follow single tracks with impunity. These maps are far better than the ones I have seen on my mates' Garmins and reason alone to make use of the iPhone.

I have fallen off 3 times (I went over the front yesterday - I put the front wheel into a leaf covered bottomless bog) and none of this has damaged the phone as it sits in the dip of my riser bars. Neither has belting down over tree root lined tracks damaged it.

If it's raining (or likely to rain heavily), I don't go to spend a day exploring new areas. I would stick local so I wouldn't need to see the map screen. For this reason, I haven't bothered with a waterproof cover.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • whitestar1
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    1. RAM mount approx £17 on Amazon
    2. 2 minutes to fit on the bars, near the stem
    3. Well worth it.

I use MotionX, running OpenCycle off road maps and this transforms rides large forests like Epping. I was there yesterday, iPhone on the bars and you can follow single tracks with impunity. These maps are far better than the ones I have seen on my mates' Garmins and reason alone to make use of the iPhone.

I have fallen off 3 times (I went over the front yesterday - I put the front wheel into a leaf covered bottomless bog) and none of this has damaged the phone as it sits in the dip of my riser bars. Neither has belting down over tree root lined tracks damaged it.

If it's raining (or likely to rain heavily), I don't go to spend a day exploring new areas. I would stick local so I wouldn't need to see the map screen. For this reason, I haven't bothered with a waterproof cover.

I like the sound of RAM thanks
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011