Need to fix a rusty seat tube

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Saracen Zen frame made from Reynolds 631 steel. The seat tube has become a little rusty and dirty so the seat post no longer easily slides up and down. If I feel the inside of the tube with my finger I can feel it is not smooth and uniform inside. like there is some dirt or rust inside it.

whats the best way to fix the seat post? I've tried using a stiff washing up brush to clean in the inside. it made a little difference but enough. Im thinking of trying steel wool next. Is there anything else I should be trying?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    A seat post honing tool like a flexhone.

flexhoning_seat_tubes.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    I've had a quick look on the web, I can't find find a flex hone in stock at reasonable price from the UK. Many in US selling from around £15 though.

But I also found a few tools similar to this:
    http://www.drapertoolbox.co.uk/draper-56244-25mm-57mm-2931-66961

would this type of tool also be suitable? It says it has adjustable honing pressure. Im guessing I just need to set in to the lowest pressure and do a bit at a time and check with the seat post that it slides in smoothly?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH talk to your LBS many will have something suitable.

the draper tool can be used but it is for a more precise job. a seat tube is not that accurate and the tool is likely to break as it catches the slot.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    ok will do. thanks for your help.