Broke my bike, time to change?

wollow007
wollow007 Posts: 118
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Hi Guy's

Managed to snap the swing arm on a Commencal Super 4 Carbon yesterday, not really sure how I managed it but really miffed at the fact that it broke so easy. A gentle ride over Swinley Forest and a trip to the expert trails at medium speed. Have spoken to my lbs where I got it 8 months ago to send the thing back to Commencal for warranty repair.

Now I have a dilemma, 2 events that I have been training for all winter in the next 5 weeks and I know the bike will be with Commencal for a while, and to be honest I have lost my confidence with the bike.

I decided yesterday to have a look around the bike shops for an alternative and narrowed it down to Lappiere, Orange or Zeti, 140mm travel and something strong. Finally decided to get a 20" Orange 5 pro (i'm 6'6" and 16 stone). Was not impressed by the Lappiere, way to expensive for the spec you get, would have to spend 5k to get what I consider a mega machine, although the look the bomb. Didn't really look at the Yeti's as I fell for the orange bikes int eh shop.

The way I look at it is that while being a basic design the Orange 5 pro looks like it can stomp all over the trails with ease and get me up the hills, not as easy as the Commencal but get me there without snapping in half.

Not ridden the Orange, taking a punt and collecting the bike on Tuesday morning. As events are almost here I wanted to get a bike sorted without delay and based on the bank holidays I had to take a calculated guess that I would like the bike.

So guy's what you think about the Orange, do you think I will like it?

Has anyone had experience of riding a Meta and then going to an Orange 5, was it much different?

I will be riding in a XC event in Swinley, which I believe the Orange will adore, not sure about the Mendip hills though as there is a nasty couple of uphill sections, what's the Orange like on hills, any ideas?

Do you think a 20" (largest they do) will be OK for a 6'6" bloke, similar tube lengths as the Commencal but different geometry?

Going to sell the Commencal Super 4 carbon when it returns, what with cable rub and a snapped swing arm I feel that the bike is to delicate for what I want to use it for.

:wink:
http://www.clivenutley.com

Orange 5 Pro
Giant Trance X0
Mondraker Dune RR

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Orange is a very basic/simple design heavily reliant on a good shock to work properly. Luckily, shocks these days are good, so they tend to ride well! Certainly common enough.

Assume you're doing the Gorrick 100 next weekend? See you there. I'm doing 4 laps.
  • wollow007
    Yeah, the reason I went for it, the Commencal is lovely but it seems far to complicated for such a simple task. 7 bearings for the rear suspension seems a lot when 2 do the job.

Yeah the Gorrick 100, only 3 laps for me as I'm new at all this :shock:

You done it before, do you have to run through the expert trails or is it just the easy(ish) bits?

See you there :wink:

Orange 5 Pro
    Giant Trance X0
    Mondraker Dune RR
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    they always score dead highly in reviews and as basic as the design is, the one i rode was pretty good.
  • wollow007
    Hope they climb like mountain goats, hills are nasty in Mendip lol

Orange 5 Pro
    Giant Trance X0
    Mondraker Dune RR
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yeah I've done it for the last 5 years or so, I love it, my favourite race of the year I reckon! There's rarely anything difficult in there, it's all the usual Swinley stuff, Labyrinth, The Whole 9 Yards etc.
  • Ive got an Orange 5se 20" and it's excellent! Got a 1x9 set up and 150mm RS forks.
    Orange 5 SE
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Orange 5 Diva
    Boardman Team Carbon
    Bianchi She
  • wollow007
    You have a 20", how tall are you? does it feel ok?

Looking forward to Swinley next weekend, will be fun on the Orange :lol:

Orange 5 Pro
    Giant Trance X0
    Mondraker Dune RR