Alex Dowsett breaks 10 mile TT course record

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited April 2011 in Pro race
He broke Michael Hutchinsons 2007 record of 19.43 for the 10 mile TT yesterday by 19 seconds in a time of 19 mins 24 secs on the course at Sawtry organised by St. Ives CC on the old A1. That's some going. Conditions were gorgeous and very warm. His girl friend is a babe ..... :wink: .
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The UK record for a 10 is under 18 mins :s

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Com ... fault.aspx
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I haven't seen this news but the record is (was?)17.57.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Just checked it out. Course record and a cracking ride by all accounts. Well off comp record.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Sorry guys didn't make clear it was the "course record" rather than the fastest comp 10m TT. :oops:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    dilemna wrote:
    on the course at Sawtry organised by St. Ives CC on the old A1.
    Is that the one with loads of roundabouts on it? Not a very fast course IIRC.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    That's the one - Hutch (who held the old course record 19'34" set in the 2007 Nationals) described the course as "technical" I prefer "hilly". Watched Alex off the start (as I was "recovering" on the opposite verge, having just finished) already shifting like a motorbike after 50m.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    why wasn't he on the A63 outisde of hull on friday with hutchinson and a load of others in silly clothes? fastest course in the country and i don't think hutchinson was too far off his record from last year
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    gsk82 wrote:
    why wasn't he on the A63 outisde of hull on friday with hutchinson and a load of others in silly clothes? fastest course in the country and i don't think hutchinson was too far off his record from last year

Supporting a local event? Very graciously gave back his prize money, which was donated to the St Ives club charity (
    www.magpas.org.uk
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I've just returned from the Ardennes (bullshite)
    I then read this and think....... more ?????

WTF I watched 30 years ago both Sean Yates (19.41) and David Lloyd (19.11) break Comp Records
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    He was supposed to ride my club time trial today but apparently picked up a knee injury. :(

He's been riding a lot of local stuff recently, is he angling for a TDF prologue win?
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Not this year! :wink:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    gsk82 he may be one of the best TTers in the country - only really Wiggins any better. But he's admitted to struggling (or not being as competitive as he hoped) in TTs during stage races on the continent as they tend not to be on flat straight roads, and are more sporting. So he's mainly been riding SPOCO type courses than drag strips.

Pirahna according to his twitter feed he whacked his knee on his aero bar arm rest at St Ives and the bruising/swelling was worse than he thought. So he's rested it as a precaution.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    hammerite wrote:
    gsk82 he may be one of the best TTers in the country - only really Wiggins any better. But he's admitted to struggling (or not being as competitive as he hoped) in TTs during stage races on the continent as they tend not to be on flat straight roads, and are more sporting. So he's mainly been riding SPOCO type courses than drag strips.

He's had a couple of top 5s in short TTs so far this year (Murcia & Qatar from memory), which bodes well for the future. Clearly it's his first season at this level so will take him some time to adjust to doing TTs in stage races, but from what we've seen this year he can't be too far of some good prologue & TT wins.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    dilemna wrote:
    He broke Michael Hutchinsons 2007 record of 19.43 for the 10 mile TT

T'was a tough day back in '07.

That course benefits from the south westerly but if I remember well it was more of a complete westerly which offered no benefit either way and a bit of a cross wind whipped up over the motorway.

There are a couple of roundabouts each end but if you ride from Sawtry to Stilton it is much faster (in my experience) than going the other way.
  • I was Dowsett's minute man in Saturday's St Ives TT, he was absolutely awesome and must have been going 8 or 9 mph faster than me when he caught me (1.4 miles in by the way).

I am by no means the fastest rider but am making good steady progress week on week, I found Saturday's race totally inspiring, I mean, for a Peterborough CC rider like me to be able to race alongside a pro like Alex gives a very special feeling indeed.

I had chatted to him on facebook before the race and had a couple of chats on the day, he seems like a really great guy and I wish him well for the season.

:D
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    A few guys I know raced against him at Fowlmead and watched in amazement as he lapped the field and won solo, clearly a massive talent and seems like a down to earth guy. I look forward to watching his career develop.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I was Dowsett's minute man in Saturday's St Ives TT,

Nice to see you on here buddy... :D