noisy road vibration

aReN
aReN Posts: 39
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
I have a Raleigh Airlite 100 and recently I noticed that I get massive road vibration in the handlebars which is quite unpleasant and even noisy. I recently changed my wheels to a set of Mavic Aksium and new, 24mm Continental GP tires. I first thought that might be the reason but it doesn't make sense. Would switching to a carbon stem help absorb some of the vibration?or maybe reducing the pressure in the tires/front tire?(I have them to around 110 psi atm). :roll:

Comments

• Are you sure your headset is tight and has no play in it?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • aReN
    Yes, I checked that as well and it doesn't show any sign of play at all...
  • well could be you are unlucky and that combination of wheel/tyre/frame resonates - is it at all speeds or just normal cruising speed? Carbon forks do seem to ride quieter, but its probably worth experimenting with different type pressures first.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    A lot of things can cause a noise at the front end of a bike, particularly on bad or gritted road surfaces such as the headset loose, handle bars not tight, cables rubbing, wheel issues etc etc.

However, I had an annoying rattle recently on bad road surfaces which was a very slight movement between my cateye computer and the plastic holder on the bars which I rectified with a little bit of black plastic tape as packing! :wink:
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    No need for 110 psi unless you are in a race, drop them to 90 rear 80 front and see how that goes. My Aksiums / Gatorskins are no problem so should be ok for you :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Mavic QR skewers are renound for rattling so i would say try that. If they do rattle its down to the pin that holds the QR handle on. You have to drift the pin out put a bit of 2 pack glue on the pin and put it back in. Have had to do maybe 12 sets of wheels where this has happened.
  • aReN
    Thanks for the advices, I.ll try tightening everything than can be tightened, lowering the tire pressure and also applying glue to the QR skewer, let's see how that goes.