Best road pedals for around £40

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Guys,

Can anyone recommend some decent road pedals for around the £40 mark?

Cheers
FJ[/i]
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Shimano R540s are the obvious choice at this price point, simple reliable pedals.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • I have Keo Classics, and have found them to be superbly easy to clip into and (so far) quite reliable.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... OOKPEDA860

Never used the 105's, so I can't comment on which is better.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Slightly vague question. Do you want out-and-out road pedals (like those suggested above) or clipless pedals for a commute? If it's commuting clipless pedals, many folk use SPD and therefore M520 pedals. The plastic cleats used in the typical road pedal (Look Keo, SPD-SL) I think are generally too fragile for the typical commute. There are ways around the issues but SPDs (metal) give most of the benefits without the drawbacks. Unless you are going to be doing long (50-mile plus) road rides as well and need proper, carbon-soled, roadie shoes, I'd thoroughly recommend SPD (and M520 pedals - well inside budget). You then have the choice of MTB shoes (which some believe far more practical for commuting) & some (Shimano in particular) road shoes which take both SPD & SPD-SL/Keo etc cleats.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Look keo's I use them on my road bike and so far they have been great
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Slightly vague question. Do you want out-and-out road pedals (like those suggested above) or clipless pedals for a commute? If it's commuting clipless pedals, many folk use SPD and therefore M520 pedals. The plastic cleats used in the typical road pedal (Look Keo, SPD-SL) I think are generally too fragile for the typical commute. There are ways around the issues but SPDs (metal) give most of the benefits without the drawbacks. Unless you are going to be doing long (50-mile plus) road rides as well and need proper, carbon-soled, roadie shoes, I'd thoroughly recommend SPD (and M520 pedals - well inside budget). You then have the choice of MTB shoes (which some believe far more practical for commuting) & some (Shimano in particular) road shoes which take both SPD & SPD-SL/Keo etc cleats.

+1.

I have M520s for the commute and some off-road stuff, and road shoes for weekend riding.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    cjcp wrote:

+1.

I have M520s for the commute and some off-road stuff, and road shoes for weekend riding.

+1. I'd destroy road cleats on my commute.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Got some M520's to go on the commuting bike, am looking after some recommendations for an out-an-out road bike.

Cheers
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • meanredspider
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Got some M520's to go on the commuting bike, am looking after some recommendations for an out-an-out road bike.

Cheers

Might be better asking in the Road section
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FoldingJoe wrote:

Cheers

Steady on! You go in there with a question like this and you'll be fully-waxed and grumpy before you know it. There's plenty of roadies on here, and the two main options expressed so far (the Keos and the 105's) are both very good choices.
  • meanredspider
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Cheers

Steady on! You go in there with a question like this and you'll be fully-waxed and grumpy before you know it. There's plenty of roadies on here, and the two main options expressed so far (the Keos and the 105's) are both very good choices.

Wasn't that - just slightly confusing asking about pedals not for commuting in the commuting section - get all sorts of irrelevant answers.