Wet-weather riding tips?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited April 2011 in MTB general
I posted a couple of weeks ago whining about how every rider seemed to have better skills/faster etc., which was met with some very good advice and encouragement that was greatly appreciated.

Since then I have taken all the good advice and I have vastly improved over the last couple of weeks, which has seen me cornering better, riding faster, handling the bike more confidently etc.

Now, I was just getting into my stride when all of a sudden we've had monsoon weather in Sheffield today, which has seen the trails revert back to what they were like in the winter - saturated and boggy.

Nevertheless, I was out as usual (I go out in all weather conditions), but when the trails are really sodden I used to keep off most of them as I would revert to snail pace, and not really enjoy the uncertaintity of the terrain. As mentioned, I am riding faster etc. recently, and really enjoying it, but I didn't manage to ride as fast today as everywhere is soaked, which as we all know makes the roots/rocks all the more sketchy. I felt a bit disappointed that I couldn't carry the speeds that I've been achieveing recentlywhen conditions have been dry.

I didn't avoid the trails, and I think that I rode them as fast as I used to do when dry, so I still feel that I'm improving. There were a few moments where the front wheel slid on rocks and when cornering, but I continued...although not as fast as I have been over the last couple of weeks when dry.

I don't want today to detract from what I've recently achieved, but I did feel a little let down today.

What is the general feeling regarding speed - dry conditions vs wet conditions? What % decrease in speed, if any, would you guys generally expect in wet conditions? Any tips and advice would be, again, greatly appreciated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Speeds will be slower when wet, because there's less traction available. Don;t worry too much about it. It uses pretty much the same skills as dry riding, except your drift control has to be better. The speed will come in time.
  • Dry is always going to be much much faster than wet. There is more grip, better visibility and there is less drag.

Also depends on the trail, Cwmcarn for instance drains amazingly so you don't really loose much speed apart from on the climbs.

Whinlatter however can become really cut up in the wet so is a bit more of a challenge to ride.

Don't let it get you down, I guarantee that you'll have learnt a bit more bike control form the sketchy wet stuff, so when the next dry day is upon you... you'll freaking love it!
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Enjoy the wet. Same trails different experience. Two for the price of one in my book.

I live in Sheffield so know how different the trails turn with a little damp on them.

keep on riding as you'll never improve sat at home
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Johnny Napalm
    I know common sense says that it's going to be more difficult, but I felt that I was on such a good run, improving every day, and then the bloody heavy rain comes and slows me down. We all know the good weather won't last, but I'd have loved a coupe more days of dry practice. :x

Thanks, again for the advice. How do you generally handle wet rocks/roots? I realise that in mud it'd be much of the same priinciple of getting weight over the front tyre to bite, but when it comes to those rocks/roots, I assume it's wise to un-weight the front end to reduce the potential going face-first into a passing tree?
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • wet rocks/roots need to be handled head on. if you're turning or off balance you don't have a chance!
  • Johnny Napalm
    wet rocks/roots need to be handled head on. if you're turning or off balance you don't have a chance!

Yeah, I can see the sense in this, but by the nature of the trails it can be extremely difficult to achieve this - what happens when it's not possible to do that? These are the times when I find that I have to slow down and approach gingerly.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    wet rocks/roots need to be handled head on. if you're turning or off balance you don't have a chance!

Yeah, I can see the sense in this, but by the nature of the trails it can be extremely difficult to achieve this - what happens when it's not possible to do that? These are the times when I find that I have to slow down and approach gingerly.

Or die. What's the problem, ride according to the conditions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    just pin it, if you slow down too much, you'll lose momentum and balance and will probably fall off, keep speeds relatively high, stay confident and loose on the bike, and brake a touch more carefully and you should be alright, anyone that says riding in wet isnt as quick in the dry clearly didnt see sam hill's race run in champery in 2007 :shock: wanna learn how to ride in the wet? find a vid of that run and you will never question wet weather ever again, insane skills!!
  • Johnny Napalm
    Interesting, Lawman - so you reckon there should be very little slowdown in the wet...providing the rider has is competent?

I agree with you that going too slow causes a lot of issues, and also starts to become less fun. It's going to take a good while for it to dry out up here, so I think I'll stick the new Swampthings on and give 'em a go.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    Where are you based? Swampthings are a pretty extreme conditions tyre.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Sheffield, mate, generally ride Greno and Wharncliffe.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    You sure you need swampthings? Most mtb tyres are ok in the wet. Swampthings are well for swamps!
  • Johnny Napalm
    :lol:

It can get pretty swampy in Wharncliffe, mate, some of the areas just hold water for aeons. It gets that saturated sometimes and has nowhere to go.

I'll keep working on my skills, which should help me keep upright most of the time. :wink:
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    depends on the mud too . some mud you need wide fat tyres at low pressure , other trails where it is more like water , narrow tyres (1.7 - 2.0) will be better suited. Tioga make good mud tyres with the DH muds.
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    NatoED wrote:
    depends on the mud too . some mud you need wide fat tyres at low pressure , other trails where it is more like water , narrow tyres (1.7 - 2.0) will be better suited. Tioga make good mud tyres with the DH muds.

yup thast true, in febuary i biked along the southern upland way over fields and along the cliffs, the waterlog was horrendous, i had 2.1 weirwolfs on, a lad had maxi high rollers and a guys had skinny 1.8 OEM tyres on his muddy fox, they had big knobs on the edge of the tread, wide spaced studded tread, i had laughed at them but he was the only one to climb the boggy grass hills and cut through the marshes, we just spun out :oops:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dry dusty trails are great......but there is nothing like wet, slimy, slippery, muddy roots and rocks for getting your bike handling skills up.....

Yes...it will slow you down (none of us here are sam hilll lets face it....most of the time..neither is he..)...but after a few weeks riding greasy trails, when you get back on the dry stuff, you might very well notice a big difference in how you handle slides and drifts....

think of it like a free skills session.

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.