C-Y-B...To pad or not to pad? That is the question.

davildo
davildo Posts: 162
edited April 2011 in Routes
I've been back riding for about a year now.
Riding in the south, trails in the north downs, Kent etc.
It's generally pretty earthy, so despite the odd spectacular crash (and not so spectacular ones) I don't wear any pads. I worry they might restrict movement and perhaps be a bit hot.
I'm off to Coed y Brenin next weekend for the first time. I can't wait. However, I believe it is pretty rocky in Snowdonia so was wondering whether people would advise me to wear knee pads at least, especially with my penchant for hitting the ejector seat button!
Any advice from c-y-b veterans would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Comments

• warm18
    warm18 Posts: 341
    I bought a pair of knee pads before i went to wales for thefirst time a few years ago. on the secondday i found myself knee sliding on some pretty savage shale into atree stump.

definitely worth the money imo for all riding now. would recommend them
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Padding up is a personal thing.I don't pad up anywhere and wouldn't at a trail centre if I did.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Padding up is a personal thing.I don't pad up anywhere and wouldn't at a trail centre if I did.

^ this, i do have some 661 knee pads, i very rarely wear them. it's up to you 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Davildo wrote:
    wondering whether people would advise me to wear knee pads at least
    Your choice, not anybody elses. Wear whatever you feel safe in.
    But, I'll say that if you're questioning whether or not to wear knee-pads, then you probably already want to wear them, so just get them.
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    What Yeehaamcgee said

Its up to you. Personally I do wear knee pads, CYB is about the only place in the world that I havn't fallen off at but have seen plenty of mates with badly cut knees from spills which can tend to spoil their day if it happens half way round. I wear my pads as they don't restrict my legs at all and i know that one day i'll be grateful that I had them on.
  • davildo
    Thanks for the responses.
    I think you're probably right mr. McGee. I think I've just got into the bike radar habit of asking what people think before I buy anything bike-related.
    Right, off to the buying advice forum for knee pad advice.
    Actually I think I'll just get some kyle straits, I've already done a bit of research, on here of course.
    Cheers.
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    I didn't use them, but lots did this weekend. Some looked like storm troopers on push bikes.

Definately worth buying knee pads.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm just used to knee pads now and generally wear them all the time. They keep my knees clean :D.

However even on something seemingly tame I can come off and land on the knees. They're expensive things to smash up for me, especially being self employed. CYB is rocky and I preferred to wear them there. I don't generally bother with shin protection though.

Mind you now my back is screwed I'm looking into spine protectors just for regular trails!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Always cover the impact zones i say, knee's, hands and head.

The amount of times i've had to stop on the trail for people being caried/stretchered off because they came off at 10mph and took all the skin off there knee's is silly. if you don't care about personally injury think of all the other poor people who have to sit around while your got off the tail :p
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I wear knee/shin and elbow. You get used to wearing them in no time, and once theyve molded to your shape you dont even know theyre there.

As has been said in another post, its not 'if' youre going to fall off its 'when'. Particularly trying somewhere new, or you're still pushing yourself skill-wise

again totally personal though
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Personally, witht eh Dmg i have seen with relatively low speed accidents just because it's rocky i think anyone with out is just a bit thick, but thats my slightly crazed opinion.

Also shows a lack of regard for other and the emergency services who have to scrap up those who haven't made a common sense protection choice.
  • I use knee pads most of the time now. They keep my knees warm.

I've seen a few people rip big gashes into the knee protector parts. I'd rather do that then rip my knee open.

Some people seem to go through this thing where they assume that people wear to pads to shout about how good they are or something.
  • davildo
    A more enthusiastic response than expected.
    I am off to CYB tomorrow and I will be wearing the Kyle Strait's.
    Some interesting points made in this thread but overall, despite not really being a knee pad wearer before, I think I would be foolish and perhaps selfish not to put them on.

1. I fall off quite a lot, all part of pushing yourself, which is why I love the sport.
    2. I work for the NHS, so putting extra strain on the emergency services, particularly if it could be avoided, is downright hypocritical.
    3. My missus will kill me if I rip my knee in half (as will my football manager).

If you are at CYB this weekend, avoiding the royal nonsense, I'll be the one in large knee pads, not on a stretcher with blood pouring from my knees (hopefully).

Bon chance et bonnet de douche.

Cheers.