Panniers on race bike, alu frame and no mounts

richrock
richrock Posts: 77
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
I'm looking to increase my luggage slightly, and am considering a rear pannier rack. My Camelbak (blowfish) isn't quite man enough with change of clothes, toolkit, spares, plus all the other bit's n bobs I'm having to carry. Plus I'd like to be able to take my laptop in once or twice a week.

My road bike (Carrera TDF :( ) doesn't have any pannier mounts. I've looked at the seatpost variants, but the total weight with laptop is too much for these to handle, plus I'd think my frame would snap on the lovely smooth asphalt roads ( :shock: ) - I meant potholed tracks. :roll: - no really, it's an A-road, not that you could ever tell. :lol:

So, I looked at the possibility of mounting it using rubber-covered p-clamps, a sensible alternative. Yet I then found people say that I should never ever ever ever mount anything to an alu frame using this method.

Is this correct? My main choice was the Blackburn MTN rack, because there are hardware kits to fit to the frame. My alu frame is 6061, so I'm unsure if that will make any difference.

Is there any other alternative I haven't thought of? I'd like to ditch the backpack and increase luggage potential, especially for carrying some extra groceries too on occasion.

Comments

• The reason people say you shouldnt use P-mounts on an alu frame is there is, on cheap frames, the danger of deforming the tubing if you over do it which would then reduce the ability of the tube to handle compressive forces and alllow the frame to buckle. Personally, if there is sufficient rubber between the mount and the tube, I'd be surprised if you could put enough compressive force into the mount to do this. I could understand doing this on a carbon frame would be maybe more of an issue because carbon is, arguably, less forgiving to local stressing. Unless you plan to carry many kg I dont think you should worry. btw, worst-case, i carry a 3.3kg laptop, charger, clothes, shoes and a washkit/towel in the pannier and its all up weight is <7kg which honestly for an alu frame is nothing.

(for the scientific, to crush a 25mm 6061 tube with a wall thickness of 1mm requires 25N/mm^2, or, putting it another way, if the p-clip was 10mm wide you'd need to close it with a force of about 12,500N to crush the tube - no way you could get close to that with the usual M5 or M6 bolt! *NB rough calcs not checked* )
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    seat post racks can take 10 kg afaik thats 22 llbs of stuff "

My carrera tdf has a seatpost rack and i carry ...
    pump
    tools
    2 inner tubes
    repair kit
    chain repair link
    tyre boot
    change of clothes for work (shirt ,trousers ,pants,sweat shirt)
    sandwiches
    windproof
    rainlegs
    spare buff
    spare gloves

Coping fine with it all.

picture001h.jpg
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Mine has mounts on the bottom to attach the legs of a rack , you could get a seat post clamp with a rack extension and mount a full time rack that way .

like ...

222.jpg
    FCN 3/5/9
  • OSOH
    OSOH Posts: 153
    Mine has mounts on the bottom to attach the legs of a rack , you could get a seat post clamp with a rack extension and mount a full time rack that way .

like ...

222.jpg

Was about to suggest the same thing, I've just got a bike with no racdk mounts, and came across this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bike-Seatpost-Cla ... 27b156f9c1

Seatpost clamp as pictured by previous poster, looks a great idea, convenient solution. I used to have a seatpost rack but found that it swivelled at times and connected with the wheel, no matter how tightly I did it up - put me off using it. Plus it was HEAVY!!!
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I use a rack that attaches via the quick release. It is offset backwards to make sure you don't hit your panniers with your heels.

5584609220_16fe5804f7.jpg
    original by twostage, on Flickr
  • coffeecup
    coffeecup Posts: 128
    I use something similar to the quick release above. A bit expensive but works well. Only issue is having to remove the skewer and fiddly washers if you get a flat, but that isnt too often (touch wood)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-fly-rear-rack/
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • coffeecup
    coffeecup Posts: 128
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL