Heavy duty inner gear cable

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
The inner gear cable (Goodridge Black) on my bike has started to rust where it is exposed at the rear mech and down the seat tube to the front mech.

Was going to buy some but had some nice new heavy duty stainless pre lubed cables I had cut off machinery at work seemed a waste throwing it in the bin.

Using them for my Pro Kart throttle cables but I took one and tried it in an x5 shifter and it works any reason not to use it? why are gear inners so thin? these are thicker but glide smoothly through the outer cable and I'm not bothered about weight saving.
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just get some stainless gear cable. it works and does not rust.

what diameter is the cable you have "found"? and does it have a nipple on the end?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Its the diameter of brake cable, it runs smoothly and has a "nipple end" I'm thinking it will stretch less and pull less crud into the housing.

Its from a large petrol mower for the speed controller for the gearbox, I've had to change the controls to a different type on the mowers and the new controls had cables pre fitted.

I got a few for my kart as one end had a hook on it which fitted my throttle pedal perfectly but when I moved the hook there was a barrel on the end of the wire so got a couple more to try on my bikes.

Its fitted and working well had some Goodridge ferules and they were just big enough, soldered them on as crimping is ugly.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er