Bob Wilson cyle ride

potters1863
potters1863 Posts: 111
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

I had the great honour of taking part in some of this event yesterday.

Bob Wilson and his team are cycling to all the premier league clubs in aid of Willowa very worthwhile charity.

I turned up at the Britannia stadium yesterday morning to applaud the good work Bob Wilson and his team are doing for the charity and for cycyling awareness as well.

He met up with the legend that is Gordon Banks for some photos, then I was invited to join them for some of the ride between Stoke City and Manchester City.

It was a great honour and the participants were very friendly and a special thank you to Bob Wilson who turned out to be a very very nice person.

Good luck for the rest of the ride which finishes in Scotland, great cause and great bunch of people involved.

Thanks.

Tim. :D

Comments

• Hi Tim,

I heard him talking on radio 4 before he started the ride and posted the thread linked below. It seems like he and his co-riders have been making some very good impressions, which has got to be good for the Willow foundation, cycling and the reputation of footballers (which has become a little (!) tarnished.)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12771687

As a point of interest, are punters allowed to join in on the rides or are you one of the select Stokies on spokies?
  • potters1863
    potters1863 Posts: 111
    Hi Tim,

I heard him talking on radio 4 before he started the ride and posted the thread linked below. It seems like he and his co-riders have been making some very good impressions, which has got to be good for the Willow foundation, cycling and the reputation of footballers (which has become a little (!) tarnished.)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12771687

As a point of interest, are punters allowed to join in on the rides or are you one of the select Stokies on spokies?

deptfordmarmoset,

Agree with your points re reputation of footballers etc, doing such a good job. As for punters or being one of the select Stokies on spokies :D I'm just a very keen cyclist and football supporter and always willing to do what a can for a charity or two. Doing the Dougie Mac cycle ride for the local hospice next month, all worthy causes.

It was Mick who is driving behind the riders to make car drivers aware of cyclists and is also doing cycle repairs etc amongst other jobs. He said I was welcome to join in if I wanted, this wasn't my intention as it is their ride but took up his offer. Was brilliant.

I appear to be popular with Nigerians though as a group were visiting the ground and thought I was famous and were queueing up for photos with me :D

I was trying to tell them that I am not famous and there is Gordon Banks standing over there in front of a statue of Sir Stanley Matthews. Good laugh, perhaps now I am famous in Nigeriia?

For a 70 year old, Bob is in tremendous condition, though he is not the oldest as one of them is 78. Very good of them all to give their time and effort for the Willow foundation. I shall be making a donation and suggest others do the same.