commuting shoes

lurpak
lurpak Posts: 78
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,
I am looking to get some new shoes. I currently use my mtb spd shoes, however i would really like to get a pair of road based shoes for my commute. They will need to be both SPD and SPD-SL compatible as i only have mtb pedals on mycommuter bike. I have been looking at either the Shimaon R087 or Bontrager Race Road. As anyone got any experience with these or recommendations for others of similar price that have a ratchet top strap?
Thanks

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    If you're using the Shimano SPD clipless system with MTB pedals then I don't think you'll find any advantage in going for a pair of road shoes for commuting. MTB shoes are great for commuting as the cleat is completely protected when you're walking in them/every time you put a foot down at traffic lights. With road shoes, you may find that you wreck the cleat pretty quick if you have to do any walking in them - to and from the bike racks at work for example. Just something to consider anyway.

As for recommendations - I use the Bontrager RL MTB shoes for commuting and they're very comfortable.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I use the R087s with SPDs and they are great. The cleats don't wear much - the heals of the shoes do a bit though. My feet stay nice and cool in the summer. The only problem is your feet get cold when it's cold - I put gaffer tape over the vent hole in the toe of the sole when chilly. But, all in all, better than the MTB shoes I used to use.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • lurpak
    lurpak Posts: 78
    I am looking at road shoes as a lighter and stiffer alternative. at the moment I have a basic pair of specialized mtb shoes which are about 5 years old and suit me for when I go off road. the road/commute ones will then be my main shoe for commuting and leisure outings.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Sounds like you want MTB race shoes - basically the same as road shoes but with some tread, so you can walk in them when using SPD cleats. A proper road shoe with SPD cleats would be nasty for walking - unstable, sparking on tarmac and gouging up wooden floors - avoid!

Look at the high end MTB shoes from Specialized, Mavic, Diadora etc. I commute in Diadoras and they have been great - look like road shoes, but with the practicality you need for commuting.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    lurpak wrote:

They look fine - beware of the studs on the front of some of these shoes (Shimanos you've listed for instance) - clearly not of any use on a commute but will sharpen up walking on concrete etc. Don't know if they are removeable.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bakerstreet
    bakerstreet Posts: 108
    BigMat wrote:
    Sounds like you want MTB race shoes - basically the same as road shoes but with some tread, so you can walk in them when using SPD cleats. A proper road shoe with SPD cleats would be nasty for walking - unstable, sparking on tarmac and gouging up wooden floors - avoid!

Yup. I learned that the hard way.

Also, if you, like me are one of those people who cant stand the nice of people sraping their knives and forks on their plates, then be prepared for that with cleats and full road shoes when you have to walk on tarmac.

I asked for road shoes at christmas and I have had to wonder round at work opening the shutters an full on road shoes really are a pain to walk on. Not too durable either IMO.

When I rest my feat when I'm stopped at traffic lights, it wears don the material by the toe. I ended up wrapping it in tape.

Also the nice vent hole by the toe is nice in the summer but rubbish in the winter. You end up having to invest in over shoes, or do what I did and tape up the holes :)
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    lurpak wrote:

That's the sort of thing I'd go for. I've been using these for the last 6 months or so, been very satisfied, done thousands of miles already and look good as new:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50951