LBL - Oh the shame

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Looking at the winners for the last 10 years is pretty depressing. Outside of the grand tours, it must lead the way in terms of dodgy winners.

Still a great race. Pity Liege is such a hole too.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Show me a professional race that hasn't had a boatload of dodgy winners.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Liege isn't as big as a hole as you'd imagine, some of the outskirts are grim but the centre of town is fine.

The recent winners list is a who's who of dopers though, isn't it?
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Am I right in thinking that in the last 10 years, Schleck is the only one who hasn't been banned?

It does make for pretty poor reading, but then so do most of the big races really.......
  • andyp
    Bettini never served a ban, but he and Schleck are the only ones in the last ten years who haven't.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    Liege isn't as big as a hole as you'd imagine, some of the outskirts are grim but the centre of town is fine.

I was there in 2004 and i thought it was midden including the centre of town.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Moray Gub wrote:

I went in 2003 and thought the town centre was fine. What happened to it in a year?
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:

I went in 2003 and thought the town centre was fine. What happened to it in a year?

Must have been a binmans strike when i was there rubbish all over the place and a general run down feel to the place mind you i had just driven there from Bruge so i suppose i was maybe comparing it to there. IMO its a hole though.
  • Gavin Cook
    Gavin Cook Posts: 307
    andyp wrote:

The center is **it hole and quite dodgy.
  • andyp
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Must have been a binmans strike when i was there rubbish all over the place and a general run down feel to the place mind you i had just driven there from Bruge so i suppose i was maybe comparing it to there. IMO its a hole though.

Bruge is a museum though, not a living, working town like Liege.

It's not the smartest place in the world by a long margin, but it similar to many towns in the UK.
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

It's not the smartest place in the world by a long margin, but it similar to many towns in the UK.

I suppose if you compare it some of the middens down South then you may have a point :lol:
  • Gavin Cook
    Gavin Cook Posts: 307
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Thats also true. There are places much worst in the UK.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    iainf72 wrote:
    Looking at the winners for the last 10 years is pretty depressing. Outside of the grand tours, it must lead the way in terms of dodgy winners.

Still a great race. Pity Liege is such a hole too.
    You are so right on both counts but I have a Love affair with La Doyen and the city of Liege. (17 times now)

Before Maggie Thatcher, I was a production engineer and dirt & grime became a norm for me.
    GUB, I knew a shite place called Glasgow (+ Scotstoun) and so many more. (maybe there's only cow dung near you)
    London, Manchester, Sheffield/Rotherham, Birmingham, Bristol, Wuppertal, Saarbrucken, Dusseldorf, Paris, Lille, Brussels and of course Charleroi. (I know I've been to more, Italy??)

The 10 year List.
    You can go back more than 10 years and in my ignorance I won money with Berzin who followed his mentor's 4 time win. Moreno Argentin ???

I promised myself this would be my last time if Vinokourov were to win this year (or that list got longer) and as I step into the lift a guy asks me which floor I need.
    I say to him "drie danka" with my finger pointing, I add "Telekom" and he smiles and says ya, 6 years.
    I am amazed he is as tall as I am but then Life has taken a toll on me and I'm no longer 6 feet but shorter by 1 to 2 inches.
    The next time I bump into him I say "Good Luck tomorrow, will you win"
    He shrugs his shoulders and smiles and says that he would like to win again.

My dilemma now is - has that list got longer. ??? :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972