Deore shifters

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys, i have a set deore shifters and i need to replace the cable on one, they are the shifters with the window, ive had a look and taken the top off then i reasembled and took the bottom off for a look, it didnt look like a straight pop in and out type of job.

your help and knowledge will be greatly recieved :)

cheers
scott

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shift to 9. remove screw cover plug and push the cable out.

no dismantling needed.

have a read of Parktools for more info, or download the manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supafly1982
    nicklouse wrote:
    shift to 9. remove screw cover plug and push the cable out.

no dismantling needed.

have a read of Parktools for more info, or download the manual.

will do, thanks Nick, i should of said its the 3 gear shifter, just shift up till it pops out, same as the 9?
  • nicklouse
    shift to one.

again all in the manual or Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • earls
    earls Posts: 48
    I've got a similar issue - i'm trying to replace a deore shifter with an slx shifter. Can I attach the new shifter to the existing cable? Or do I need to remove the cable and thread the new shifter with cable into the existing outer cable?

Apologies if that doesn't make sense!
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    You have to take it out of the deore shifter and re-thread it all.
  • earls
    Cheers mate, done that, got it all in place but it won't change into the 3rd ring (left hand shifter) can't see that I've done anything wrong at all. Reckon I might have been sold a duff shifter on ebay!
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    IIRC SLX have a shifter solely for double set ups? Check it's not one of those..
  • earls
    Got a feeling it might just be that - the shifter just has slm 660 on it and no other markings. Sorry for being a pain but does anyone know how I can tell if it's the IIRC version? The guy who sold it didn't state what it was.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    IIRC stands for If I remember correctly :lol:

I suppose just shift it and see if there's 2 or 3 'clicks'?

But someone else might be able to confirm if there ever was a x2 slx shifter.
  • earls
    I've just emailed the guy I bought it off asking if he's sold me the IIRC model!!!! Quality.
    My mate's got an Slx shifter thats 3 speed. It must just be broke. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
  • nicklouse
    earls wrote:
    I've just emailed the guy I bought it off asking if he's sold me the IIRC model!!!! Quality.
    My mate's got an Slx shifter thats 3 speed. It must just be broke. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

:roll:

IIRC is nothing to do with the shifter.

If I Recall Correctly
  • earls
    I know that now! Just ordered an internet dictionary ..... and a new left shifter!
  • earls
    Cheers lads, I know that now! Just ordered an internet dictionary ..... and a new left shifter!
  • supafly1982
    2 left shifters dont make a right :lol: