Hope Tech V2 possible seal problem?

Dirtydog11
Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm having some difficulty expelling all of the air out of my tech levers, I have followed the Hope bleed guide to a T.

No matter how much I bleed then pump the lever, as per Hope video, I am constantly getting small air bubbles rising from the lever port and into the master cylinder.

There are no leaks!

I have tried bleeding from bottom to top with a syringe and top to bottom but the end result is the same, air in the lever.

So the question is although there is pressure in the system could the master cylinder seals still need replacing? :?

I don't think they should be this difficult to get right.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how do the levers feel?

do they feel spongey and then pump up?

if not dont worry. some brake systems do make a fluid stream into the MC when the lever is pulled.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    nicklouse wrote:
    how do the levers feel?

do they feel spongey and then pump up?

if not dont worry. some brake systems do make a fluid stream into the MC when the lever is pulled.

Thanks Nick, I suspect your right because the levers feel OK - ish, not spongey and I don't need to pump the lever.

Even though both front and rear calipers and pistons are aligned (centered) I have to have the front BPC wound all the way on to get the throw to feel like the back.

With both BPCs wound out the front lever throw feels excessive when comparing it to the Rear.

I thought the feel would have improved after several bleeds but it just hasn't.
  • Drop the wheel, pump the pistons out a bit (and i mean a bit) fit the wheel, then bleed the brake again with the BPC set in the middle and the lever throw set long. then set to your preferred settings and see how it feels.
    I used to do this on a Pro racer's brakes to get the bite point even on both levers.