exposed cabling

pedalpower
pedalpower Posts: 138
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I was wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of exposed cabling - I'm talking about top tube routing here but applies to other routing too.
Some bikes seem to expose all three cables, others none, others just the gear cables. I'm guessing the reasoning is that the more cable exposed the less housing to be compressed and impair shifting accuracy. This would be less important for brake cabling so covering it up might make sense to keep the muck out. But more bikes seem to not be exposing cables at all.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    With gear cable being relatively cheap I'm not actually too fussed if it's sealed all the way along.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Full outer on the Patriot, its designed that way.... and TBH, ive put a full outer on the Msisle too just because it actually keeps shifting smoother for longer.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it has very little to so with operation or anything.

But i have to ask why you are asking as changing from one to the other is nopt really an option.

if you are using it as a guide on what to get then dont be stupid.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pedalpower
    pedalpower Posts: 138
    I just got curious because was at first puzzled by the different braze-ons on my new frame.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it can also be for a hydro brake set up.

what frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    As a recent conert to single speed all I can say is what cables. Gears are for wimps and I will stick to that line till the next time my knees explode on a steep Pennine bridleway :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Exposed saves weight......if that is important to you!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I prefer full runs but tbh with good cables it's much of a muchness
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    Nick, changing is an option.
    On my old kona i drilled the stops out and ran full length outer with a great improvement over shifting quality in the winter
  • Right. Since no one will offer an opinion here, I will...

Full length outer is the way forward. i've tried both, many times, and keeping your inners clean is the way to happiness.

Lots of lube, lots of outer, happy shifting!