Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

would you buy this castelli jersey?

aripallarisaripallaris Posts: 294
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Castelli-Short-Sl ... 441wt_1139

it looks pretty cool, and definitely matches with the bike and rest of the gear plus i do like it. is it genuine?

Posts

  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes if genuine shorts, but I highly doubt it!
  • batch78batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Sizing looks well out, below is Castelli sizing chart

    http://www.evanscycles.com/product_docu ... -chart.pdf
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 7,960
    Fake. But at the price not a bad deal. Better if they were bibshorts
  • I asked a very similar question recently on the Beginners Road Forum and was essentially referring to the same seller, who does state that the goods will come from either the UK or Hong Kong:

    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12772185

    I have bitten the bullet and bought Castelli bibshorts from Ribble & a top from PBK at considerably more, but hopefully this at least guarantees they are genuine.
    Let us know what they're like if you go ahead and buy.......they may well be perfectly ok for purpose.
  • orbeaorcaorbeaorca Posts: 246
    Its probably fake so you are not actually getting a genuine Castelli item just a cheap jersey and shorts with a Castelli logo/design therefore you won't be getting Castelli quality.
    You pay your money and you make your choice but personally I would avoid.
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you'd be happy to go into Lidl or Aldi and buy their kit then this stuff will suit you fine - just don't kid yourself or anyone else it'll be anything like Castelli.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ShutUpLegsShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Monty Dog wrote:
    If you'd be happy to go into Lidl or Aldi and buy their kit then this stuff will suit you fine - just don't kid yourself or anyone else it'll be anything like Castelli.

    ^whs
  • RDWRDW Posts: 1,900
    Latest feedback for this seller (today):

    'item was not genuine, had to take item back in person to get refund BEWARE !'
  • sungodsungod Posts: 14,366
    looks fake, i've got the 'same' jersey, from pbk, compared to that...

    the panels of the jersey aren't right, scorpions on arms too big, inside of collar should be white with "rosso corsa" text

    real thing looks like this...

    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/images/prod_31534.jpg
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nakita222nakita222 Posts: 341
    Im sorry to censored on your parade, but it is a jersey. What's wrong with it being fake, we,ve established that and the quality won't be the same as a genuine castelli jersey,(look at the price) If you've got biggish arms, it should fit. but if you've got skinny arms, there may be a problem. The material quality, may be worse and destroy in the washing machine much sooner, but considering the price who cares, buy another one.

    the shorts do look quite bad

    One last thing.Noones gooing to know if it is fake on the road, you're not going to be stopped by someone saying, oh look the scorpions on your shoulders are too big, and the inside of the collar should be white. Unless they're a B====D head.
  • Nah, tis definitely fake...but that isnt such a bad thing. I wouldnt buy from that seller though, they are adding £10 - 15 just for being a middle man. I've had some chinese fakes for almost a year now and I cant find any fault at the price i Paid for it £28 for Bianchi Jersey and bibs and £18 for a Rapha Condor Sharp jersey.....The shorts are starting to go a wee bit see through now but thats probably because i just throw them in the washer/dryer with everything else.

    I'm always on a budget with bike gear and i have to say, the bibs are the best ive tried yet, far comfier than the £39 shutt standard shorts. Until I can afford nice ones, im happy with the fakes.

    Check out ebay stores like this one.

    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/hongshui2009/ ... 4340.l2559
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Your fake kit might look fine from the front (in your opinion), but anyone sitting behing is watching your spotty ar$e through thin, cheap lycra. Nothing wrong with cheap kit, but plenty wrong with cheap kit impersonating expensive stuff.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nakita222nakita222 Posts: 341
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Your fake kit might look fine from the front (in your opinion), but anyone sitting behing is watching your spotty ar$e through thin, cheap lycra. Nothing wrong with cheap kit, but plenty wrong with cheap kit impersonating expensive stuff.

    Give me some examples of whats wrong with wearing cheap kit, impersonating expensive stuff. And your speaking on a whim, one may even say bullshit, you cannot give a product review, of what you've never tried, and if you had tried you would know the quality isn't that bad, therefore the lycra isn't see through.

    Some people talk utter bullshit and give people advice on things they've never tried, it's equivalent to me saying, "planet x carbon wheels are censored , from the front they look good, but from the back, everyone can see your spokes, that can't be aero. Nothing wrong with cheap Zipps, but plenty wrong with cheap wheels impersonating expensive wheels.
  • sungodsungod Posts: 14,366
    nakita222 wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Your fake kit might look fine from the front (in your opinion), but anyone sitting behing is watching your spotty ar$e through thin, cheap lycra. Nothing wrong with cheap kit, but plenty wrong with cheap kit impersonating expensive stuff.

    Give me some examples of whats wrong with wearing cheap kit, impersonating expensive stuff. And your speaking on a whim, one may even say bullshit, you cannot give a product review, of what you've never tried, and if you had tried you would know the quality isn't that bad, therefore the lycra isn't see through.

    Some people talk utter bullshit and give people advice on things they've never tried, it's equivalent to me saying, "planet x carbon wheels are shoot, from the front they look good, but from the back, everyone can see your spokes, that can't be aero. Nothing wrong with cheap Zipps, but plenty wrong with cheap wheels impersonating expensive wheels.

    the op's question was "is it genuine?", it's not about "cheap kit", it's about fraud

    you say "...if you had tried you would know the quality isn't that bad, therefore the lycra isn't see through. ", which means you've tried it, did you buy it? or are you the seller?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bendertherobotbendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Ebay is a bit odd, everything Assos, Rapha (more or less) is real, almost everything Castelli is fake.

    If you want cheap kit try:

    http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/ranges/ ... 4QodNH5eHA
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bendertherobotbendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Ebay is a bit odd, everything Assos, Rapha (more or less) is real, almost everything Castelli is fake.

    If you want cheap kit try:

    http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/ranges/ ... 4QodNH5eHA
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 7,960
    nakita222 wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Your fake kit might look fine from the front (in your opinion), but anyone sitting behing is watching your spotty ar$e through thin, cheap lycra. Nothing wrong with cheap kit, but plenty wrong with cheap kit impersonating expensive stuff.

    Give me some examples of whats wrong with wearing cheap kit, impersonating expensive stuff. And your speaking on a whim, one may even say bullshit, you cannot give a product review, of what you've never tried, and if you had tried you would know the quality isn't that bad, therefore the lycra isn't see through.

    Some people talk utter bullshit and give people advice on things they've never tried, it's equivalent to me saying, "planet x carbon wheels are shoot, from the front they look good, but from the back, everyone can see your spokes, that can't be aero. Nothing wrong with cheap Zipps, but plenty wrong with cheap wheels impersonating expensive wheels.


    You can argue that it is breaking copyright laws, etc and you are supporting an illegal trade. Nothing wrong with wearing cheap kit. But this isn't cheap kit - it's passing itself off as the real stuff (sort of).

    However - I'm not all that high and mighty and have bought this kind of stuff before. You can tell the difference in quality from the genuine article - but a lot of it isn't actually all that bad.

    Do you buy your wife fake Gucci bags, etc - and pass it off as the real thing? Or do you believe in paying for the genuine article? Let's just leave it as a personal choice.

    And again -the original question was just 'is it genuine?"
  • nakita222nakita222 Posts: 341
    I bought it, but as the fact that they weren't genuine, was discover by the 3rd post i thought I would elaborate. putting across the point that genuineity doesn't =quality.

    Is that ok.
Sign In or Register to comment.