cancer check

mattshrops
mattshrops Posts: 1,134
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
after my dad needing chemo and then radiotherapy- and me hitting 45 i thought id better get a check up.
the thing worrying me was one of the doctors at my surgery is 6ft 5in ,and shall henceforth be refered to as dr. huge hands. now youre getting my drift?
so i decided - if its a woman ill mention it -dr. huge hands forget it, ill make up some rubbish about something else.

right , it turned out to be a woman and i thought what the hell lets do this thing.
and here is the news ITS ONLY A BLOOD TEST. go and get it done you only have to worry about sausage fingers if you get an abnormality show up. phew.

and on a serious note -if they catch it early theyll save your life 8)
Death or Glory- Just another Story

Comments

• I once had a ''haematospermia'' incident, which on reflection was probably saddle-induced but definitely and disturbingly on the bright side of pink, and it led to my rather attractive and rather posh doctor having to perform a rather intimate examination. (Warm and slender fingers, delicate touch.) The thing that threw me was when she asked whether I wanted a chaperone, because I found myself wondering whether it was her that wanted a chaperone.

The whole experience confused me so much I went out and got drunk that night and then got mugged on the 100 yard walk home. My broken nose is now so out of true that I could French kiss that Fry chappy without having to tilt my head at an angle. Not that I would, mind...

The moral of this story is probably....get a comfortable saddle.

Also, even an abnormal test result is not necessarily evidence of a medical abnormality. but ''normal'' is usually the best result :wink:
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    Good advice, check regularly!!!

Had a case of Epididymitis a few years ago and had a full barrage of tests, scans, bloods and the dreaded finger and thankfully was diagnosed with the above. Quack reckoned it could well have been saddle induced but couldn't be sure.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Whilst we are on the subject of cancer scares and as the weather is so nice don't forget to cream up on rides now. I had a skin cancer scare last year which thankfully turned out to be just solar keretosis( although the treatment for that was painful enough) So it's factor 50 for me from now on thank you very much.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Having lost two friends to cancer in the last couple of months and my son having a Ewing's Sarcoma (or did - they removed a large chunk of his pelvis, nuked it, and put it back in March), I take no chances with cancer. I thought I found a lump on my nuts and went straight to the docs. Even that manual examination is easy (especially when I compare it with what my son has been through). He was pretty certain that I had nothing but sent me for a scan for my own peace of mind (given what else I'm dealing with). The scanning folks were great - very considerate - but I told them that if it meant me standing in the hospital reception with my trousers round my ankles, I'd do it.

As above - for god's sake just get it checked. Watching my friend's kids lower their dad into the ground was heartbreaking. With pancreatic cancer there was probably nothing that could have been done but with most there is. Don't be a fool - get it checked.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Matt - am I reading this right - you had no symptoms but went to your GP for a prostate check ? Will they do that then, only last time I went after having a dull ache under the ribs for about 6 weeks and cramps all she did was feel about and say she couldn't detect anything just try and live with it - I came out feeling like some kind of time waster. I have a feeling that if I went to my GP for a "checkup" she'd just laugh.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Matt - am I reading this right - you had no symptoms but went to your GP for a prostate check ? Will they do that then, only last time I went after having a dull ache under the ribs for about 6 weeks and cramps all she did was feel about and say she couldn't detect anything just try and live with it - I came out feeling like some kind of time waster. I have a feeling that if I went to my GP for a "checkup" she'd just laugh.

Thing is it's in their interest for you to come to them for a check up. If there is anything wrong with you and its caught early then it will be less hassle for you and hopefully more succsesful treatment, and on their side it should cost them a lot less! The time cost of you going once or twice a year and discovering anything quickly will most of the time be a lot lower than leaving it late and having complicated treatment!

Sometimes i guess the doctors are just having a bad day and after a full line of people comming in for minor complaints you can see how they might be a bit bitter. Don't let a bitter doctor's experience throw you off getting checked up and having peace of mind and increasing the chances of saving the NHS some long term costs!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'm not saying a check up is a bad idea - far from it - just my experience of GPs is such I'm surprised they NHS will do tests for cancer if you have absolutely no symptoms. Maybe I need to find a new GP if people are routinely walking in and getting check ups because I get the impression mine would tell me to get lost.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When I was going through the diagnosis, which turned out to be Testicular Cancer (5 years in remission now) a very nice 6 '5" Nigerian doctor called henry checked my prostate as a matter of course. He had fingers like mars bars and when I was checked it was not a good day out.

Better safe than sorry with this kind of stuff.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Tom, people with different doctors (even within the same nhs area) seem to have vastly different experiences of their doctors. a friend of ours who only lives a few miles away has real problems just getting an appointment at her gp.
    in my case i just went along told them about my dad and my age and asked if i needed a check. they actually organised a full battery of tests inc. cholesterol , kidney function and of course the prostrate. dont worry about feeling like a timewaster you are entitled to it.
    you might have one of those gp surgeries where you need to push a bit .SO PUSH.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I'm not saying a check up is a bad idea - far from it - just my experience of GPs is such I'm surprised they NHS will do tests for cancer if you have absolutely no symptoms. Maybe I need to find a new GP if people are routinely walking in and getting check ups because I get the impression mine would tell me to get lost.

Doing it regulary is a bit too much and there might be a few people who do come in too often and that annoys staff hence the general attitude spreading. However you shouldn't feel presured by them into not having check ups, as mattshrops says some surgerys might be reluctant and need a push!
  • Routine testing for prostate issues should be on the NHS agenda, especially when 50+.

The concept of routine screening of symptom free women has been long established for breast cancer and cervical cancer, so your GP should be encouraged - men seem to have a natural reluctance to talking about their nether regions.

Having been down the long road of concerns (mine), tests (various, from bloods to biopsies and all sorts) and eventually surgery, It's not really an option. Survival is something I put ahead of embarrasment.

Visit http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/. Be informed. They support cycling. Support them.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • welton
    welton Posts: 65
    From recent personal experience it is very important to have regular tests for prostate cancer, the most common cancer in males. See why in the April news item on my website.
    Quite a coincidence that I have chosen to ride for The Prostate Cancer Charity.
    Charity Tour de France 2011 ~ The Prostate Cancer Charity. See more at http://www.charitytours.org